Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Starting a Large project

[eluser]craig.hoog[/eluser]
Hello everyone,

I really need to pick your brain for a minute here.
I'm about to launch into the development of a large project (large by most standards).

What I currently contemplating are the core basics, and I wondered if any of the experts here could weigh in a bit.

1. Is CodeIgniter the right fit for a large project with many parts?
(Profiles, eCommerce, Inventory, APIs, Interactions)

2. Should I know anything before I go forward with my usual MySQL Database setup?
(Am I missing the fact that MongoDB, etc are the clear winner in this arena now?)

3. I have currently broken the application into "sub applications" like:
a. Admin panel
b. Client facing front end
c. Registered user panel
Does it make sense to make these separate CI apps (my current plan) or is there an argument for doing it all in one large CI project?

As far as my experience goes, I have launched eCommerce sites, blogs, various CMS systems and more with CodeIgniter, but this is my first forray into a large site that has the potential of thousands of users online at one time.

Any advice or directions would be fantastic. Just don't want to find out in a month that CI is a terrible idea for scalable apps or some other avoidable pitfalls.

[eluser]Denzel[/eluser]
Quote:Is CodeIgniter the right fit for a large project with many parts?
Short answer: it depends. A lot of things factor into this decision. Are you comfortable with CodeIgniter? Would you work more efficiently with another framework? Just to name a few. It's your decision, you make it.
Quote:Should I know anything before I go forward with my usual MySQL Database setup?
Once again, it depends. I think you already know this. Many websites use MySQL as a backend, many websites don't. It's up to you to do the research and decide whether it is a good fit for what you're planning. Maybe a schemaless database would do your project wonders. I don't know; it's not my project.
Quote:Does it make sense to make these separate CI apps (my current plan) or is there an argument for doing it all in one large CI project?
Sure. You could go either way, depending on the scope of the project and the number of developers working on it.
Quote:Any advice or directions would be fantastic. Just don’t want to find out in a month that CI is a terrible idea for scalable apps or some other avoidable pitfalls.
It's a problem when it's a problem. Read that article (written by 37signals, the minds behind Ruby on Rails and a slew of successful web applications). Heck, read the entire book if you have the time, it's a great read.

Thanks Denzel,

Despite the fact that half your answers were vague, it was quite helpful.
I am, in a way, looking for reassurance that it's not a bad idea. I know most of the pros/positives from my previous experience, but wanted to make sure i wasn't missing the big cons.

[eluser]Clooner[/eluser]
Craig,

Your description itself is not very clear. CI and especially mysql can easily handle millions of rows containing many gigs of data. It really depends on how "smart" you set everything up. Many first timers think that mysql doesn't scale very well but those are the once that never get into the need of scaling. They only think they do because of a bad setup!

Just dive in and as said, only fix problems when they really become a problem.

Again, thanks for the reply. I agree entirely - not trying to get specific information.
The root of this was when I went though the (outdated?) list of sites built with codeIgniter.. Most of them seem small in scale in comparison to my project at hand.

Just making sure there wasn't logic i am missing.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB