Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Changed form_dropdown()

[eluser]Glazz[/eluser]
Hey there !

Since the form_dropdown() doesn't accept arguments to be arrays, at least on the first argument i've modified the helper function.

Code:
function form_dropdown()
{
  // Get the arguments passed.
  //
  $args = func_get_args();

// Declare the variables.
  //
  $name     = ( isset($args[0]['name']) ? $args[0]['name'] : ( isset($args[0]) ? $args[0] : false ) );
  $options  = ( isset($args[0]['options']) ? $args[0]['options'] : ( isset($args[1]) ? $args[1] : array() ) );
  $selected = ( isset($args[0]['selected']) ? $args[0]['selected'] : ( isset($args[2]) ? $args[2] : array() ) );
  $extra    = ( isset($args[0]['extra']) ? $args[0]['extra'] : ( isset($args[3]) ? $args[3] : false ) );

if ( ! is_array($selected))
  {
   $selected = array($selected);
  }

// If no selected state was submitted we will attempt to set it automatically
  if (count($selected) === 0)
  {
   // If the form name appears in the $_POST array we have a winner!
   if (isset($_POST[$name]))
   {
    $selected = array($_POST[$name]);
   }
  }

if ($extra != '') $extra = ' '.$extra;

$multiple = (count($selected) > 1 && strpos($extra, 'multiple') === FALSE) ? ' multiple="multiple"' : '';

$form = '<select name="'.$name.'"'.$extra.$multiple.">\n";

foreach ($options as $key => $val)
  {
   $key = (string) $key;

if (is_array($val) && ! empty($val))
   {
    $form .= '<optgroup label="'.$key.'">'."\n";

foreach ($val as $optgroup_key => $optgroup_val)
    {
     $sel = (in_array($optgroup_key, $selected)) ? ' selected="selected"' : '';

$form .= '<option value="'.$optgroup_key.'"'.$sel.'>'.(string) $optgroup_val."</option>\n";
    }

$form .= '</optgroup>'."\n";
   }
   else
   {
    $sel = (in_array($key, $selected)) ? ' selected="selected"' : '';

$form .= '<option value="'.$key.'"'.$sel.'>'.(string) $val."</option>\n";
   }
  }

$form .= '</select>';

return $form;
}

The functionality is the same as before, but now you can have something like this:
Code:
$data = array(
    'name'    => 'your input name',
    'options' => 'your item options'
    'selected' => 'the selected value'
);
form_dropdown($data, null, null, 'class="my class" id="country"');

I needed this because i'm creating my inputs on the controller, and then i'm adding the class style on the view, mainly because of templates, and i didnt want to have 3 more variables passed to the view so i could populate the dropdown ( $name, $data and the selected value ) and add the style needed !

To use this just create a new file in your application/helper folder called MY_form_helper.php and paste in inside that file and thats it =)

Don't know if this is usefull for someone, but here it is anyway =)

[eluser]jellysandwich[/eluser]
I don't quite understand the purpose of this. What's wrong with sending more variables to the view?

[eluser]Glazz[/eluser]
Because i'm dynamically declaring the variables for the inputs on the controller.

For example, in my Customers::create() i have a HUGE array with all the inputs i'm using on the view, i have the rules for form validation there aswell, then i loop the inputs array, set the rules and i declare the inputs then in my view i just need to do something like:

Code:
echo form_input($input_name);

The way i'm doing i don't need to do verifications manually to check if for example the form was submited and i should use the value from the form or from the database records ( when editing ).

Thats why i don't want to have a few more variables, because i need to change how it because of 3 or 4 variables, and i'm using the same method for other pages that needs to use form validation and forms.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB