Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
missing notes from user guides (v2.0.0, v.2.0.3)

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Recently, I upgraded our CI from 1.7.1 to 2.0.3. I upgraded in increments, from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2, then 1.7.2 to 1.7.3, and so on up to 2.0.3.

The user guides to assist in the transitions were for the most part very helpful. However, I encountered a few snags, which I believe occurred because the user guides were missing bits of instructions or could have been slightly more clear.

Here are some notes, in case someone else might find them useful, or CI finds them useful and integrates this feedback into the existing, old user guides.

In the CodeIgniter User Guide 2.0.0, Upgrading from 1.7.2 to 2.0.0

1. Inquiry: Why is there no 1.7.3 to 2.0.0 in the 'Upgrading from a Previous Version' list of upgrade notes, only 1.7.2 to 2.0.0, even though there is a separate download for 1.7.3 (in which several system/ subdirectories and files require updates from v1.7.2)?

2. There is currently no 'update index.php' step in this transition. The following should/could be a new Step 2.

Since system/codeigniter no longer exists under version 2, the following line should also be updated, in index.php (at bottom):

Code:
require_once BASEPATH.'codeigniter/CodeIgniter.php';

to

Code:
require_once BASEPATH.'core/CodeIgniter.php';

In the CodeIgniter User Guide 2.0.3, Upgrading from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3

1. Steps 1,2, and 3 seem as though they could be consolidated into just steps 2 and 3.

Step 1: Update Your CodeIgniter Files
Step 2: Update CodeIgniter Files
Step 3: Update your main index.php file

to just

Step 1: Update Your CodeIgniter Files
Step 2: Update your main index.php file

pulling some of the instructions from the original Step 1 into the new Step 1.

2. If Step 2 is kept as-is, there is a colon ending the sentence within, suggesting that some subsequent listing of folders/files is missing (the subfolders of system/).

3. For step 5, regarding the autoload.php file edit:

If the original 'application' subdirectory and its contents were retained as-is throughout the upgrades since version say, 1.7.2, the autoload.php file would be out-of-date in general, with reference to plugins. This step could note this, suggesting that the user replace the existing autoload.php file with the newer one that comes with the download of CI versions 2.0.x, retaining any custom entries in the file.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB