Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What is CI's relation to Ellislab?

[eluser]J3roen[/eluser]
I've been checking out CI for a few days, and I like very much. :-)

The modular approach (even within MVC) is very cool. Very easy
to extend/replace CI classes with your own.

One thing that bothers me is, how is EllisLab involved with CI? Is
it owned? And if so, will it allow redistribution even on commercial
projects?. And why doesn't the CI site itself use CI, but instead the
expressionengine.

Other thing is, it's been 6 months since the last release. Is it still
actively being developed?

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Quote:One thing that bothers me is, how is EllisLab involved with CI? Is it owned?

EllisLab owns CI. Many of the CI libraries were pulled from EE.

Quote:And if so, will it allow redistribution even on commercial projects?

Here is the license.

Quote:And why doesn’t the CI site itself use CI, but instead the expressionengine.

EE pays CI's bills, nuff said.

Quote:Other thing is, it’s been 6 months since the last release. Is it still actively being developed?

Check out the SVN repository where you can watch CI grow right before your very eyes... like SeaMonkeys or something.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
EE came before CI, therefore the site was made in that. EE covers most of what they need from the site so they dont code it from scratch. Fair enough I reckon!

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
As mentioned above, CI is basically a spin-off of EE and it sees major changes when EE sees major changes. EE v2.0 has been in the works for some time, and we have it on good authority from Derek that after that is released, we'll see a major published update for CI. In the meantime, you can grab the incremental improvements from the trunk that John Fuller linked to above.

The forums, EllisLab administrators and CI developers are all very active, even if it doesn't look like it!

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Also, I assure you CI is very active right now. Since we started a serious ramp up about a month ago there's been about 50 entries into the SVN, features and bug fixes, and there are many more and a bunch of significant ones at that, that just haven't made it in yet as we're still testing, tweaking, and putting it through the torture that industrial strength code goes through.

I'll tell you, coding for an audience of hundreds of thousands is WAY different then coding for your own site, or freelance client Wink

This level of activity will stay like this for the foresable future. We'll get a new version of CI out "formally" after a few more of the significant things settle down, but as John points out, grab anything you like out of the SVN. instructions.

Welcome to CI J3roen, you're going to love it!

[eluser]J3roen[/eluser]
Thanks all for your reply. It has made things a bit more clear, and motivates me to start coding using the CI framework. Especially the fact that it's still actively developed is an important fact for me.

First project to start learning CI, a photo blog application similar to Pixelpost & Friends.

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1199791083"]
I'll tell you, coding for an audience of hundreds of thousands is WAY different then coding for your own site, or freelance client Wink[/quote]

And don't think for a moment we don't appreciate your hard work, Derek. You guys are top in our book!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB