Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI's next release estimate? / CI Praise

[eluser]kabatak[/eluser]
I am planning to work on a new semi-major project and use Codeigniter with it and I wanted to know if the next release is any time soon? If yes then I would probably wait for it before beginning writing a line of code. If no, will there be any major changes on the next release that might be critical to any project?

By the way here's a little trivia: I am a solid CI fan but somehow I sort of evaluated other frameworks during the past months including the Zend framework recently. It was good, however I still ended up saying: CI has all that I need and I love the way CI does it Smile

For example in the Zend framework, you need to access $_GET elements using name/value pairs like
example.com/controller/action/name/value/name/value/name/value which has a potential to make the URL too long. In Codeigniter you don't need that name element anymore, just value! example.com/controller/action/value/value/value

That reason alone (well aside from other things which I can actually live by if CI didn't exist) makes me stick to CI already hehehe :coolsmirk:

[eluser]PeeCee[/eluser]
If I were you, I would just begin writing the code Smile. I began the rewrite of my site when 1.5 was the latest version - and I have just released it, running on CI 1.5.4. Basically, I do not remember rewriting anything because of changes to the framework.

But then again - we do not know how major the changes will be Smile.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
There won't be anything that will break backwards compatibiity on you kabatak. If you want, many of the new features are already in the svn.

http://www.derekallard.com/blog/post/che...epository/

There will be a new release "soonish", but I don't know exactly when. I agree with peecee here... start coding now (probably using the svn code) and you'll be good to go!

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
I just came across the above link last night and found it very handy for getting some required new features for the session class (flashdata) and thats all that I have used from it.

I think the great thing about CI is the fact that a lot of the code seems to be backwards compatible with the main emphasis on the new release (1.5.5) being bug fixes and some extra small features as far as I can see?

Derek: Just out of interest what kind of tests do you put the new release code through before calling it a 'final' release? I could imagine it would be quite hard to test everything out!

As far as I can guess maybe a sample application that you have built that tests most functionality?

Nearly anything new that's made it into CI in the last half year or so has worked like this. A dev approaches the team with a new feature and a proposed solution. No code at this point, or maybe just a proof of concept. The everyone beats up the concept, and polishes on a conceptual level. Then the code is written and tested (I tend to use bamboo for this where I can); and then released to the dev team. The dev team then beats down the code a bit more and tests, and then it gets in to the svn.

For example, for some of the new AR stuff that'll be going in, after I had gotten to the point of writing, testing and releasing, Derek Jones pointed out that I was using a string function that was only available in PHP 5 (first point, it takes a hell of a dev to catch that type of thing by eye). So he and Paul each suggested potential fixes, I implemented one, retested, then they retested. Code looked pretty solid, and then we discussed how a dev might want to use it, defaults, naming conventions, etc.

Its in our internal SVN now, where Jamie and the rest of us are torture testing it (again). That's not to say there aren't ever any bugs (I wish) but the code is pretty solid by that point Wink

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
That's what I have figured with most of the SVN release that it would be fairly stable, but of course you need some type of warning (such as the "mission critical" statement) to cover yourself Wink

On the subject of PHP4/5 will you be looking at dropping PHP4 support down the track to allow for better object handling (eg. get_instance()) and speed? Especially now with sites like gophp5.org and the End Of Life announcement made on php.net

I understand there are still people out there stuck on PHP4 for some servers (hi james!) but maybe it might be best soon to do a final PHP4/5 release and allow it to always be available (with its relevant user guide) and then go to PHP5 (probably 5.1+) only release?

[eluser]kabatak[/eluser]
Thanks for the info, guess i'll start coding now Smile

[eluser]Valdemar[/eluser]
[quote author="Lone" date="1199867924"]That's what I have figured with most of the SVN release that it would be fairly stable, but of course you need some type of warning (such as the "mission critical" statement) to cover yourself Wink

On the subject of PHP4/5 will you be looking at dropping PHP4 support down the track to allow for better object handling (eg. get_instance()) and speed? Especially now with sites like gophp5.org and the End Of Life announcement made on php.net

I understand there are still people out there stuck on PHP4 for some servers (hi james!) but maybe it might be best soon to do a final PHP4/5 release and allow it to always be available (with its relevant user guide) and then go to PHP5 (probably 5.1+) only release?[/quote]

I was wondering the same too. It isn't a big deal but since php4 is no longer officially supported, it would be natural to move on and add support to php5. This will most probably be disappointing for php4 users, but you can leave the current CI version available for them so they will still have an option.

Just thinking about it... I have nothing against supporting php4 as well.

I like PHP 5. I want to see it adopted more, and I'd love to not need to support it. But the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of PHP servers out there are still running PHP 4, and we want our products to be accessible for the widest possible audience. I assure you though, that when PHP 4 becomes as irrelevant as PHP 3, that we'll drop support for PHP 4.

That said, most of the areas where speed would matter we have pulled out anyhow. If you check system/codeigniter/ you'll see base4 and base5. 4 gets loaded on (wait for it) PHP 4 systems, and 5 on PHP 5, so everything is already nicely separated. In truth, if you do your own programming in PHP 5, there is little to gain practically.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Thats really good to hear, thanks for that info Derek - you guys are always one step ahead of us!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB