Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why is this not a standard CodeIgniter feature?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Look at the following URL:
http://ajmm.org/2011/07/custom-form-vali...igniter-2/

This is a very simple CodeIgniter modification, but I'm just wondering why it isn't a standard part of the official release. Is there a reason? It seems like an obvious solution to a common problem, but I'm also giving CodeIgniter the benefit of the doubt, and assuming there's a bigger picture.

What am I missing? Would code written this way be... bad? Unorganized?

[eluser]csotelo[/eluser]
I think it comes down to the needs of the programmer. In my case, I do not need custom error message for my forms, when I can use common phrases in the file form_validation_lang.

One of the characteristics of "CI" is its low weight and concern for the conservation of resources. I have also seen many cases where I had to extend libraries and helpers for a single project (which does not mean that I will use in another upcoming)

Nothing like starting another project with the folder "CI" empty and add your own libraries and functions to get the result you want.

Imagine it is the blank canvas of an artist (light and clean) and start making your next painting.

If all users would like a "CI" to suit all needs would have another 1GB Zend Framework xD

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
I do think the majority of time you need to be able to customize them on a field name basis rather than a rule name. I might have 10 fields using the same rule but the error message for that particular rule might not exactly match what the field is asking for. I think this is a fairly common problem that really should be part of the core. I do agree with what @csotelo wrote in general, but I think this case doesn't really fit that as I think it would be useful by a majority of users and not a small, niche crowd.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB