Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
organizing assets of the CI powered website

[eluser]kanjimaster[/eluser]
[quote author="alex2012" date="1342538254"]Thanks kanjimaster, what do you mean by a "proven package"? i mean there is no proven package for customized marketplaces like ebay right?[/quote]which is why, if you were starting out, you would choose whatever came closest in your view, and extend it to meet your requirements.

[quote author="alex2012" date="1342538254"]We are in the 70% of finish the site with codeigniter, what do you recommend?? thanks![/quote]If you're 70% complete you shouldn't even be thinking about questions like this. Your focus should be on completing the other 30%.

[quote author="alex2012" date="1342538254"]Ebay is built in from scratch or is it build using a framework???[/quote]Google is your friend on this one. There are a number of videos and articles from eBay's system architects describing how they built it. But their challenges were typically not about the functionality, which isn't that hard, but about the enormous scalability that they have had to be able to achieve. That's unlikely to be your issue at the beginning and even if it were, you have the benefit of packaged cloud solutions that weren't available to them, so your solution would likely be different.

[eluser]alex2012[/eluser]
[quote author="kanjimaster" date="1342539022"][quote author="alex2012" date="1342538254"]Thanks kanjimaster, what do you mean by a "proven package"? i mean there is no proven package for customized marketplaces like ebay right?[/quote]which is why, if you were starting out, you would choose whatever came closest in your view, and extend it to meet your requirements.

[quote author="alex2012" date="1342538254"]We are in the 70% of finish the site with codeigniter, what do you recommend?? thanks![/quote]If you're 70% complete you shouldn't even be thinking about questions like this. Your focus should be on completing the other 30%.

[quote author="alex2012" date="1342538254"]Ebay is built in from scratch or is it build using a framework???[/quote]Google is your friend on this one. There are a number of videos and articles from eBay's system architects describing how they built it. But their challenges were typically not about the functionality, which isn't that hard, but about the enormous scalability that they have had to be able to achieve. That's unlikely to be your issue at the beginning and even if it were, you have the benefit of packaged cloud solutions that weren't available to them, so your solution would likely be different.

[/quote]

Thanks for the answer!

What do you mean by: "That’s unlikely to be your issue at the beginning and even if it were, you have the benefit of packaged cloud solutions that weren’t available to them." ill appreciate your explanation, thanks!

in the case we finish the site with codeigniter, and then when the site grows if we decide to build with a more robust framework like zend for example, you think that would be a WRONG move? or you think we should stick with codeigniter forever???

Many thanks!! by the way where do you work and what is your expertise, many thanks!

[eluser]kanjimaster[/eluser]
eBay has over a quarter of a billion registered users and over a billion photos (and those figures are four years old). It probably has more of both now!

It typically has over 100 million items for sale and serves a billion page views a day, and in 2008 was storing over two petabytes of data - again a figure likely to have grown significantly by now.

What I meant was that it is unlikely that you will need to deal with this sort of volume from the start (if ever), so you will be solving different problems.

What's the best framework for you? The one that's got you 70% of the way there already. Once you understand where your technical bottlenecks are, or where your functionality needs enhancement you can evaluate whether a different framework would better solve that problem (and it's entirely possible to use different frameworks for different parts of your architecture).

But until you have an site up-and-running and making money for you, your primary problem is completing the first stage of your project - why are you taking your eye off that target?

P.S. 44 billion SQL executions per day (source: eBay architectural presentation)

P.P.S. I think that a lot of folks here might take issue with your suggestion that Zend is a more robust framework than Codeigniter, but I'm sure you have a good reason for saying that.

[quote author="kanjimaster" date="1342541083"]eBay has over a quarter of a billion registered users and over a billion photos (and those figures are four years old). It probably has more of both now!

It typically has over 100 million items for sale and serves a billion page views a day, and in 2008 was storing over two petabytes of data - again a figure likely to have grown significantly by now.

What I meant was that it is unlikely that you will need to deal with this sort of volume from the start (if ever), so you will be solving different problems.

What's the best framework for you. The one that's got you 70% of the way there. Once you understand where your technical bottlenecks are, or where your functionality needs enhancement you can evaluate whether a different framework would better solve that problem (and it's entirely possible to use different frameworks for different parts of your architecture).

But until you have an site up-and-running and making money for you, your primary problem is completing the first stage of your project - why are you taking your eye off that target?[/quote]

Hey i really appreciate your help kanjimaster!

i understand whay you mean by "why are you taking your eye off the target to finish the first stage of the project". The reason of that is that i have been reading that codeigniter is not that scalable like zend for example....and that is why i wanted to make sure if when we detect the needs to have a different system (once the site is up and running and generating revenue) we could change to another framework like zend for example...OR if once we make the site in codeigniter we HAVE to continue with codeigniter forever.

p.d.: You said is possible to use codeigniter for some parts of the site and zend for other parts?? wow i really didnt know that! is that normal?? many powerfull ecommerce sites do that??

what do you think of that, thanks for your help!

[quote author="alex2012" date="1342544516"][quote author="kanjimaster" date="1342541083"]eBay has over a quarter of a billion registered users and over a billion photos (and those figures are four years old). It probably has more of both now!

What's the best framework for you. The one that's got you 70% of the way there. Once you understand where your technical bottlenecks are, or where your functionality needs enhancement you can evaluate whether a different framework would better solve that problem (and it's entirely possible to use different frameworks for different parts of your architecture).

But until you have an site up-and-running and making money for you, your primary problem is completing the first stage of your project - why are you taking your eye off that target?[/quote]

Hey i really appreciate your help kanjimaster!

i understand whay you mean by "why are you taking your eye off the target to finish the first stage of the project". The reason of that is that i have been reading that codeigniter is not that scalable like zend for example....and that is why i wanted to make sure if when we detect the needs to have a different system (once the site is up and running and generating revenue) we could change to another framework like zend for example...OR if once we make the site in codeigniter we HAVE to continue with codeigniter forever.

p.d.: You said is possible to use codeigniter for some parts of the site and zend for other parts?? wow i really didnt know that! is that normal?? many powerfull ecommerce sites do that??

what do you think of that, thanks for your help!

[/quote]

Hi Kanjimaster, did you get my last message? Thanks!

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Talk about a thread hijack Smile

[quote author="CroNiX" date="1342633775"]Talk about a thread hijack Smile[/quote]

im sorry i didnt understand that Confused what do you mean by "thread hijack"?

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
What do your questions have to do with the topic of this thread, "organizing assets of the CI powered website", or the original posters question?

It's usually polite to start your own topic/thread if it is unrelated to the current thread/topic on forums. It also makes it a lot easier for people to search for answers to their questions if the threads that pop up in their search results are actually related, instead of totally unrelated.

[quote author="CroNiX" date="1342634472"]What do your questions have to do with the topic of this thread, "organizing assets of the CI powered website", or the original posters question?

It's usually polite to start your own topic/thread if it is unrelated to the current thread/topic on forums. It also makes it a lot easier for people to search for answers to their questions if the threads that pop up in their search results are actually related, instead of totally unrelated.[/quote]

Sorry, you are right... i just tried to make a NEW TOPIC but it says that it cant be open because of possible spam...i wanted to open a topic with the title of "Codeigniter for a complex e-commerce site like EBAY?" and the text would be : "Hello, i want to know if a complex e commerce site like EBAY is able to be made with codeigniter framework? or is an e commerce with so many thousands of users and a complex database CANT be supported by codeigniter (as also the security in the transactions)??

i will truly appreciate your answer! many thanks ok!"

you know how can i open a topic? i appreciate and sorry for writing about something else in your forum.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
I'm sorry, I don't really know about that spam thing. I know they have been fighting spam as of late so they might have something interfering with you creating a new thread, for whatever reason. Maybe you could try it again using different terms or something.

It's not my forum, so no need to apologize to me. I'm just a CI user like everybody else here. I just know how troublesome it is to be searching for something only to have to wade through lots of unrelated posts, and I thank you for taking it into consideration.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB