Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
draggable-droppables for hundreds of items (scriptaculous is too slow)

[eluser]edwardmolasses[/eluser]
hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for making ajax draggable/droppable lists of items when there are hundreds of items in a list? I tried it using scriptaculous' droppables, and it works for a small list but when i go over about 50, the page loads extremely slowly. Are there any libraries you might know of that would be able to handle this? Any help would be much appreciated!

thanks,
andrew.

[eluser]ejangi[/eluser]
Hi Andrew. I haven't benchmarked different libraries with this technique so I couldn't really answer your exact question. But, what about trying to paginate the list? Although I don't know your application I would think that a list of over a hundred items would be somewhat daunting to the user... Perhaps AJAX can grab just 25 items at a time and display next/previous links???

[quote author="ucantblamem" date="1200559017"]Hi Andrew. I haven't benchmarked different libraries with this technique so I couldn't really answer your exact question. But, what about trying to paginate the list? Although I don't know your application I would think that a list of over a hundred items would be somewhat daunting to the user... Perhaps AJAX can grab just 25 items at a time and display next/previous links???[/quote]

Oh yup thank you it's a good idea, if it were my choice i would definitely do something like that! Unfortunately it's a something the the client wants, so unless it's not possible i think i'll have to do it, ack.

So far this mootools example is the best i've found: sortables
I'm not sure if it will scale but it looks promising.

[eluser]ejangi[/eluser]
Yes, I have used that plugin and it's quite nice - but I've never tried it on such a large dataset.

Best of luck!

[quote author="ucantblamem" date="1200563389"]Yes, I have used that plugin and it's quite nice - but I've never tried it on such a large dataset.

Best of luck![/quote]

thanks (i will need it)!

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Speaking of comparing different frameworks check this out:

Slickspeed Test

I still love my jQuery though Smile

[eluser]ejangi[/eluser]
Up the Moo! Big Grin

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB