Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Can't get a view to load

[eluser]OldRodKS[/eluser]
I am really new to CI, so I'm sure I am missing something really basic here... but I cannot get a view to load when I call a function directly from a URL.

I am working on a user registration system. The system sends an email to the user with an activation URL that looks like this:

Code:
http://localhost/ci_bannor/register/email_verification/6b84c572efd

Inside my register.php controller, I have a function called "email_verification" that is shown below:

Code:
public function email_verification() {
  $verifcode = $this->uri->segment(3);

if ($verifcode == '') {  // no verification code - show error page
   $this->load->view("vVerifyError", $data);
  }

I put echo statements in here at various places to track down what's going on. $verifcode is getting the proper part of the URL like it should. When I have a code there, I can echo it out. When it's not there, it goes into the if block like it should, but it simply won't load the view. I don't get an error, it just doesn't load.

What am I doing wrong?

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
Code:

Do you have the var $data defined? I realize you are not posting all the function code, but that could cause a problem if not defined in your controller function

Yes, $data was defined, but I've been removing stuff trying to get down to the root of the problem.

The line posted above should not have the ",$data" in it.

It still doesn't work though Smile

Code:

if ($verifcode == '') {  // no verification code - show error page
  }

The uri function segment() returns FALSE, so your if statement will miss it if the verify code is not in your URL. Try
Code:
if ($verifcode == FALSE){

No change.

Here is how it looks now:

Code:

if ($verifcode == FALSE) {
   echo "Verification code is blank";
   $this->load->view("vVerifyError");
  }

The echo statement displays whether it's =FALSE or ='', but with or without the echo statement, the view doesn't load.

Then the suspicion falls on the view code itself.
Could you change the view name to some other view which you know does work, as a test.
If it displays then please post the view code itself so we can debug from there.

OK, changed it to display my page footer: $this->load->view('vPgFooter')

This is a view I use on every page and it works fine on all the other pages. It does not work when called in the code above.

Then I called the vVerifyError view from my main page and it displays fine, so the view itself is ok.

email_verification is part of my register controller. Could it have something to do with calling it via a URL?

I don't see how the URL would effect the use of the loader to move it to the browser.
You said there were not errors, I assume neither php error log nor the server error log have anything?
You get a blank screen? usually my server will glitch and report a problem on a blank screen.

another point, using a subview like your footer means that the rest of the html code is missing, hence a blank screen. Is the verify page a full html document, with html header data?

No errors in php log or apache server log. Is there a codeigniter error log file someplace?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB