Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter and PHP 5.3 or higher

[eluser]darklightmusic2000[/eluser]
Does anybody know when will codeigniter support PHP 5.3 or higher like other frameworks?

[eluser]marcogmonteiro[/eluser]
I'd say is going to take a while.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
CI already works on php5.3, but if you mean when will CI drop support for php<5.3, it is not likely to happen soon. By the very nature of how CI works, I really do not believe it is meant to be a php5.3+ framework. Major changes would be required. That does not mean you cannot use php5.3 code in your applications. Why does it matter?

Thanks for ur response..Yes we can use php 5.3 or higher with codeigniter but we have to configure system files and libraries and classes in order to do so. Hope CI release new version that supports latest php.

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
[quote author="darklightmusic2000" date="1343141450"]Thanks for ur response..Yes we can use php 5.3 or higher with codeigniter but we have to configure system files and libraries and classes in order to do so. Hope CI release new version that supports latest php.[/quote]

This is misleading. Like skunkbad just said, CI already works with PHP 5.3 without any additional configuration. It just doesn't _require_ PHP 5.3+.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Which in turn means it doesn't use any of the PHP features that require 5.3.

So no namespaces, no late static binding, no __callStatic(), (what, no static use at all) and no closures.

Offcourse, that doesn't impact your own code, which can use all this without problems when you're on 5.3+.

yes i agree. we can use 5.3 but my only question was does ---new CI version comes with new features e.g namespaces like we see in other frameworks like zend etc. anyway if u say CI aint design to do so then it doesn't matter like skunkbad said. Smile

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
Oh I see what you mean, I apologize, I misunderstood! I thought you meant your CI install wouldn't run on PHP 5.3+, but were wondering when CI's core would support PHP 5.3+ specific features (WanWizard)...... gotcha.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
@darklightmusic2000,

I wouldn't expect any major change soon, using features (properly) like autoloading, namespaces, closures (and callbacks), etc would require a complete redesign of CI's architecture, basically coding a new product.

Backward compatibility would be a pain, which would alienate most of the CI users (that have picked CI because it's accessability and stability).

I would expect these things to creep in over time, but slowly and without much impact.

I think the biggest question for you as a CI user is: why would you need these features? If you can give a serious (=business driven) answer (so not "because it is cool" or "my neighbor uses it too"), that you can judge for yourself if CI is still for you or if you have to move on.

I have, but lots of people still use CI, and have good reasons to do so.

Thanks WanWizard. CI is one of the popular framework and we all know why..happy coding n Cheers Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB