Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Help please

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi

I am having trouble from the get-go. New to CI. Just want to follow the first tutorial and I can't even do that which is very frustrating. I had trouble "installing" CI, but managed to figure it out. I have searched the forums for someone else to point this out but the tutorial's file structure is different to the CI file structure I just downloaded.

In my file structure, I have the CI folder with application, system and user_guide. In the video there is just system and user_guide. If I navigate to http://localhost/CodeIgniter/index.php I get the welcome page, but in the tutorial they get an error page.

Instead of creating my blog.php in CI/system/application/controllers, I put it in CI/application/controllers. Copying the same code as in the video and navigating to http://localhost/CodeIgniter/index.php/Blog/, I get the error:

Fatal error: Class 'Controller' not found in C:\wamp\www\CodeIgniter\application\controllers\blog.php on line 3

I have given up on this in annoyance and I am following the written tutorials instead. Can someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong?

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
[quote author="Satyr" date="1345412495"]Hi
Can someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong?
[/quote]

The video tutorial is based on an older version of CI. I think it was 1.7x. It does need to be updated, but I don't expect that to happen, not soon anyway.

The tutorial included as part of User Guide is at least up-to-date. Although it is light on details, it will get you started. Ask questions here and someone will try to assist you.

Look for other tutorials, and check which version of CI they use. You will waste a lot time trying to follow tutorials when the versions do not match.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
OK, thanks. It's good to know I'm not totally stupid.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB