Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Releasing OjaiCMS (CI powered CMS) as Open Source

[eluser]dawnerd[/eluser]
Hello everyone. After getting quite a few messages about when (and if) I will be releasing my Code Igniter powered content management system, I have decided to let everyone know that it is official.

Right now there is no ETA. I am rewriting most of the libraries used to make them different than the ones that are used in my customer's websites. There are many reasons for this, but I won't get into that now.

[h3]Partial Feature List[/h3]
*Automatic update system (more on this later)
*Custom built user management system
*Integration with many widely used user made libraries (db_session,paypal_lib,recaptcha..)
*Advanced RSS/ATOM support
*Full featured administration
*Template manager
*Complete install process (No editing of config files)
*Facebook Application support!
*Built in Flash media player
*Ability to "hot add" new features using the update feature

For more information, check the official site.

[h3]Automatic Updates[/h3]
OjaiCMS is one of the few content management systems that has a completed automated update system built in without sacrificing security. In addition, the update system features an plugin installer. No more do you have to download a plugin, unzip it, and upload to your server. Sit back and take a sip of tea (or beer, whatever works for you).

How the hell do you do that?
Simple! Lets say you install the site on your testing server (you put it on a testing server because you are not quite sure about the whole automatic update process). When you start the install process, you will be prompted with the choice of how often you would like the system to check for updates (there is also a never option for those who want to do it manually).

Next, the system will ask if you want to check if you have the latest version. If you don't it will grab the latest version and use it instead. Next, you will be shown a selection of additional plugins you can install. None of these plugins come with the base download. They are, instead, downloaded form the update server and installed. This lowers the overall size of the site for those running with a very small storage space.

In case you are wondering about security with the update system. Let this reassure you: None of the updates contact any information that could comprise your site.

note: This version of the automatic update system is different than the one I explained I used in the request forum.

[h3]More Information Yet![/h3]
Demo of User Management Administration
Fact Sheet (old)
Official site

[h3]Your Suggestions[/h3]
I am seeking your suggestion on this whole matter. Right now I would like someone to suggest a "default theme" that will be used on a basic install. I suppose I could create a unique one to this project, but that would remove my time from rewriting my libraries.

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
Wow that sounds like a lot of great stuff. I think the auto update feature will bring the most attention.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Love what your doing here, I just had a few questions for you first of all:

1. My biggest interest is how the 'modules' will be constructed - will the CMS work as the core and then extend to the modules using the standard CI MVC structure?

2. Will the CI 'core' be upgradeable or will it be extensively modified for the release.

3. How exactly do you plan to release (license) this software as 'Open Source' - how open will it be to modifications and alterations

I have a heap more of questions but will leave it at this for now Smile

[eluser]dawnerd[/eluser]
"Modules" are just a collection of a controller, some view files, and whatever of helper, libraries it needs. The system will put them in the correct spot and so on.

The CI core is pretty much the same.

I haven't finalized a license yet, but I think it will be one of the creative commons licenses.

Any more questions?

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Most certainly Tongue

Quote:The CI core is pretty much the same

1. How many core files would you envisage needing to be changed?

2. What 'levels' of users will there be (eg. admin, super user etc.) and is this customisable?

3. When do you 'hope' to have it released by?

4. What editor is being used for the actual content and how does it manage the uploading of images

We're actually about 25% through the development of our own CMS based on CI here for our clients sites (already have one but needs a major revision imo) but it will be interesting to see where you get to with yours and we will definantly be interested in contributing ideas/design towards OjaiCMS.

[eluser]dawnerd[/eluser]
The only core file changed at this time in the main index.php file so it can handle some extra tasks before the site runs. This will probably be moved to some other file outside of CI so updates are easier.

There will be an infinite number of users (ok, you can really have as many as 2147483647, but I don't think that will be a problem any time soon.)

I was supposed to release the CMS as commercial software in December, but things happened and I can't deal with licenses etc. Before I do a release I want to make sure everything works right the first time, otherwise the update system will crash (as I've seen happen before on a client's site. Bad things came out of my paycheck...) So as of now I have no set time. I also don't have any default layout for it. I consider the administration to be fully designed though.

Right now tonymce is being used as the editor. I am developing my own js based wysiwyg editor that is much more usable (think google pages on crack). There is in development a simple ajax image uploader.

Just checked your site out and was very glad to see a design firm tout web standards and actually follow them! Good job there.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Sorry, what I meant by users was are the levels/ranks (if being users) customisable eg. add a new level/rank for users such as 'Staff'.

Great to see your using TinyMCE, it is our preference as well - I can't stand FCK Editor and be great to see what you come up with an editor as well.

Thanks for the comments on our site - infact our current site is almost 2 years old and well overdue for an upgrade especially with the new change of logo in the past couple of months. It's shocking that we can't find the time to complete our new design but hoping to have it released start of February as it's long overdue!

Standards are there for a reason and I drive the php developer here crazy pushing him to abide by them Tongue

[eluser]dawnerd[/eluser]
Sorry, it's a little late here and I'm pulling an all night programming session. I don't believe there will be any limit on the number of user classes/ranks. I've never had one other than "isadmin" in the database. But I am certainly planning on building one.

I have the same problem. My site hasn't been touched since I designed it. Really sad actually.

I absolutely hate developers who chose not to follow standards. That's supposed to be what Microsoft does. Especially if you've seen any aspx powered sites. The html is UGLY.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB