Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Form validation error messages?

[eluser]RecoilUK[/eluser]
Hi guys

So I have this form, and the errors if any exist are displayed to the right of the input field.

Going along this design decision, I really don't need the name of the field in the message as it's obvious it relates to that field. But I do want to include the character limits in the min_length[] and max_length[] rules.

For instance ...

This field needs at least 3 characters.

I know how to show it with the name using the %s, but to get the number, you have to include the name.

So I want to change the way it works.

Instead of using a %s for each value, I want a %f for the field name and %n for the number, or some other way of getting to the second value without using the first.

But I cant find where this code executes.

Any idea's of where to look?

Thanks

Its ok, found out how to do it.

If anyone else is interested, you can just use this for the second value placeholder in your message...

Code:
$this->form_validation->set_message('min_length', 'This field must contain at least %2$s characters.');

And the number changes as you change the rule.

L8rs

Maybe that should be in the user_guide.

L8rs

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
[quote author="RecoilUK" date="1345743434"]Maybe that should be in the user_guide.

L8rs[/quote]
Or maybe read closer? Smile
http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...tingerrors

Your point is?

The user_guide says nothing about accessing the second argument.

If you use this code ...
Code:
$this->form_validation->set_message('min_length', 'This field must contain at least %s characters.');

You get the name of field which is not what you want. So you have to use %s twice in the error message, and the whole point of my post was to not use the name in the message.

From my original question ...
Quote:I know how to show it with the name using the %s, but to get the number, you have to include the name.

Quote:Or maybe read closer?

Back at you.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
So much for no coffee.

Feel free to add it to the docs if you thing they are lacking, and issue a pull request on github. Most likely it would get included, otherwise it probably won't.

Quote:So much for no coffee.

Yeah sorry about that. Bit tense.

Pull request added.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB