Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Upgrading from CI 1.7.1 and Modular Extensions 5.1.39 to latest.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi,

I've recently inherited a large website that's based on CodeIgniter 1.7.1 and Modular Extensions 5.1.39, and I'm wanting to upgrade it all to something more recent.

It's currently running on a mac server that hasn't been updated since 2008, and will be going to a new linux server running cPanel. Ideally I'd be able to get 1.7.1 to work with the newer PHP etc, but it just makes a lot of errors.

I haven't been able to find much documentation on doing big upgrades and haven't found anything about Modular Extensions updates, is there any documentation I'm missing anywhere and does anyone have any handy hints for making it easier? I'd like to avoid having to edit my current code if I can, there are ~200 hundred controllers and ~50 models and updating them all by hand will be a major PITA.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
If you upgrade to CI 2+ you will definitely have to change some code as there are some core changes to the fundamental framework. Most of the changes are very easy using search/replace on all files.

Code:
class Something extends Model
becomes
Code:
class Something extends CI_Model

Just file search "extends Model" and replace with "extends CI_Model". Bam. Models fixed. Similar things need to be done to controllers, but again its just a file search/replace away. This is a single operation in my IDE (search/replace on all files in a directory), so it's pretty easy. Updating by hand? Ugg...why? Some things will be required to find and update by hand, like constructors now use PHP5 style constructors since PHP4 compatibility has been dumped, but a lot of it is easy search/replace like this.

Have you read through each step of the upgrade guide to get from your current version to the newest?
http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...ading.html

I don't know anything about upgrading Modular Extensions as I don't use them.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB