Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Scaffolding Deprecated?

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
It's not that it's bad, it's just rather lacklustre. I started MVC in RoR, so I guess I never knew differently, but scaffolding should be a way to get a database driven page up and running quickly. That is to say, some basic CRUD, forms and display pages. It gives you something to build off of. The current scaffolding implementation is phpmyadmin without the extra features.

[eluser]mdavis1982[/eluser]
Hi all...

Just been having a quick look at the docs for 1.6. I noticed that scaffolding is listed as being deprecated, but that the user guide still explains it.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a new alternative to scaffolding?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers...

Matt

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
This was a tough decision, and there was considerable internal debate, but at the end of the day we just weren't happy with how scaffolding was implemented. We felt it didn't live up to the quality of the rest of CodeIgniter, and until we can have something in there that does, we just didn't want to ship with it. We were careful not to break any currently existing functionality, and scaffolding will stick around for some time, but the decision was made to move it out.

I'd love to see this get replaced by a more robust solution - and I fully intend to support any other solution that comes up. For what its worth, scaffolding while appearing sexy on first glance, adds nothing to the end result of an application, but maintaining it opened up a host of other issues for us.

[eluser]mdavis1982[/eluser]
Thanks, Derek.

To be honest, I've never used the scaffolding features, but I was thinking that it might be quite good if there was some kind of automatic admin generation tools like in symfony to gives us a head start in creating administration sections.

Not that I ever used that in symfony either, but from what I understand, it's very good.

Cheers...

Matt

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
while i used scaffolding a little bit when i first started with CI i don't use it anymore (but it is a comfortable thing for newbies). agreed - scaffolding is like a mini-phpmyadmin.

i'd love to see efforts go toward an official CI ORM approach. i think that would greatly simplify complex database CI applications.

code generation... meh. IMHO, if you are writing code that writes code then you should probably re-think your code architecture.

[eluser]Vicente Russo[/eluser]
What about this project?

A post from the autor here, he explains how it works. Very simple, it's in portuguese but you can understand by the pictures and the code.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB