Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 3

[eluser]ebrainnight[/eluser]
Here, I am feeling frustration about no release news yet on CI 3, from long long time we are waiting for CI 3 release but we need to wait more Sad

[eluser]sv3tli0[/eluser]
I want to suggest one big change...
CI 3.0 to become CI 2.2.
Drop all ToDo's which can't be finished fast and make it Public..

For CI 3.0 there should be made some major changes.
PHP stop support for 5.3.* versions and CI 3 (which is not even ready) is pointing at 5.2.4..
There is no point.

If Ellislab want to not support it any more OK. But at least complete your started tasks..

[eluser]Benjamin Kohl[/eluser]
[quote author="ebrainnight" date="1374055446"]Here, I am feeling frustration about no release news yet on CI 3, from long long time we are waiting for CI 3 release but we need to wait more Sad[/quote]
It isn't that different than CI 2 (as of right now). With someone new taking over CodeIgniter, it should be completely rewritten using modern PHP standards.

[eluser]promo[/eluser]
Hi

Where is the guide to update CI 2 to 3 ? I think that I saw it on Github but I can't found it...

Thanks.

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
[quote author="sv3tli0" date="1374130966"]I want to suggest one big change...
CI 3.0 to become CI 2.2.
Drop all ToDo's which can't be finished fast and make it Public..

For CI 3.0 there should be made some major changes.
PHP stop support for 5.3.* versions and CI 3 (which is not even ready) is pointing at 5.2.4..
There is no point.

If Ellislab want to not support it any more OK. But at least complete your started tasks..[/quote]

I disagree CI 3.0 to become CI 2.2. The major version should be incremented, because there is a new, strong "ucfirst" naming convention. There is also a new API-convention "Return NULL, (not FALSE anymore) if you have nothing to return". There are some new features within the database query builder (thank you, narfbg). There is an "official" native PHP-session driver.

There is important history (issues, messages, pull requests) in github, where everybody refers to CI 3.0.

I have already released in public two libraries, that are able to work with CI 2.x and CI 3.0-dev, and inside them I am checking the CI major version in order to deal with some extensions of the API. It is easy these checks to be corrected, but I don't want confusion for somebody else.

[quote author="matyhaty" date="1373628608"]It needs a new owner before it gets released without doubt.[/quote]

Why is that?

[eluser]sv3tli0[/eluser]
[quote author="ivantcholakov" date="1376095663"]
I disagree CI 3.0 to become CI 2.2. The major version should be incremented, because there is a new, strong "ucfirst" naming convention. There is also a new API-convention "Return NULL, (not FALSE anymore) if you have nothing to return". There are some new features within the database query builder (thank you, narfbg). There is an "official" native PHP-session driver.
[/quote]

There is no difference if its 3.0 or 2.2, but for Major version there should be Major changes..
And such Major changes can be for example using Namespaces, rebuilding Core, rewriting the how system or somehting as that..

@sv3tli0

Sorry, I have to disagree again. I mentioned Major changes, some of them break backward compatibility. Also, I have to stress again, we know the current development version as CI 3.0 for a long time. Many thing are written, referring to version 3. See the title of this discussion.

CI 3.0 is a major version by initial intention, it was developed as such with decision-making appropriate for a major version. Your suggestion is wrong, sorry, it would create a lot of confusion.

[eluser]promo[/eluser]
It's might be a problem to install CI3 on PHP 5.4 or 5.5 ?

I have CI2 on PHP 5.3.27 server and it's running well...

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Feedback on 3? Just want to know, bugs and anything...

Thanks!

Julia
Choofie –Owner
http://www.choofie.com.au/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB