Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Code igniter and SEO

[eluser]Kobus M[/eluser]
Hi guys,

I have found the following problems in my SEO reports, and this is partially due to how I developed my CMS and site. /index.php and /index.php/site_content/view/home both opens the homepage. The SEO report says that I have the same metadata for these two pages, which is indeed correct, but it is actually the same page.

The quickest solution is probably to remove any reference to index.php/site_content/view/home and use the base_url() wherever I refer to the homepage. I am not opposed to doing this, but I was wondering if this could be done via routes somehow?

Code:
$routes[''] = 'site_content/view/home';

I am trying to find out what I should put in the single quotes above to reference the base URL address? Is there a way?

Thanks!

Kobus

[eluser]Mr. Pickle[/eluser]
I would just put the following code in /site_content/view/home in the <head> section:

Code:
<link href="http://www.yoursite.com/index.php" rel="canonical" />

Then you tell search-engines that /site_content/view/home should be treated as if it was /index.php

Of course your system has to allow you to put this there. If this is the only page where it happens you can put it as a static if/else in your code, if not it's a nice addition for your system to make this feature Smile

[eluser]Kobus M[/eluser]
[quote author="Mr. Pickle" date="1350911188"]I would just put the following code in /site_content/view/home in the <head> section:

Code:
<link href="http://www.yoursite.com/index.php" rel="canonical" />

Then you tell search-engines that /site_content/view/home should be treated as if it was /index.php

Of course your system has to allow you to put this there. If this is the only page where it happens you can put it as a static if/else in your code, if not it's a nice addition for your system to make this feature Smile[/quote]

Thanks, Mr. Pickle. That was a very good idea. I have implemented this in my CMS. I have also done what I initially thought of doing, by removing all references to the /view/home and simply using /.

Have a great day!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB