Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Back to Basics [newbie]

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello!

Just joined, thought I would say hello.

I've decided to scrap most of what I know and start again using CI.

Everywhere I look it's all MVC, so it's time I stop coding procedural and start going OOP using the MVC framework.

So far what I've seen is quite good, however, the tutorials are starting to bug the hell out of me. Half way through a tutorial, where I write the code myself rather than copy & paste (as I find I learn quicker if I type it myself) and I find out that the tutorial is outdated.

Oh well, I'll keep going.

Nice to meet you all, I'm sure I'll be bugging you all for help soon enough. :-)

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
Welcome aboard!

And just as a little note: CI isn't a real OOP framework since it's still having PHP 4.x legacy support. And true OOP may only be used in PHP > 5.3 (or at least the full power of awesome OOP and alike can be unleashed only with PHP > 5.3 - at least to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong)

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks for your reply.

Although it's not true OOP, it still appears to be a great way for people with only knowledge of procedural coding to get into OOP as the structure of how you create your application makes for very easy understanding.

As I say though, I'm not sure if it's just me, but every tutorial I am stumbling across appears to be too outdated and I'm getting errors on all of them.

Does anybody know of a good template creating tutorial which will work with XAMPP and the latest version of CodeIgniter?

Ideally I'm looking for a tutorial where I can set the template and call items dynamically to the index page while having static pages.

I've just gotten through this entire tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvGymDhY49E with errors right at the last step. *sigh*

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB