Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Code Committing Help/Advice

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
So, I would say that I am pretty new to CI. Been using it for a couple of months and only have been coding for 2 years. Since I am still so new and have mainly worked on really small "local" projects and ideas I am starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with the amount of comments I have placed within my first large project. So, to see what I mean, let me give you an small example of a method from a controller...

Code:
public function mileage_submit(){
  /* Load any helpers for this page */
  $this->load->helper('form');

/* Load any models need for this page */
  $this->load->model('user'); //used for retrieving user name using CI_SESSION Data
  $this->load->model('mileage'); // Holds the queries for mileage log entries

//Load data variables for this page
  $data['title'] = "Rayco Mileage Log";
  $data['css'] = base_url('/css/style.css'); // Loads the correct stylesheet for the page
  $submit = $this->input->post('submit'); //used to check if submit button was pressed.
  $date = $this->input->post('start'); //used to check if a starting od was entered.
  $end = $this->input->post('end'); // used to check if a ending od was entered.
  $name = $this->user->getName(); // gets the logged in users full name

/* When clicking the submit button, pass the $_POST data to the model */
  if($submit == TRUE && $end == FALSE){
   $q = $this->mileage->full(
     $this->user->getName(),
     $this->input->post('date', TRUE),
     $this->input->post('start', TRUE),
     $this->input->post('end', TRUE),
     $this->input->post('notes', TRUE)
     );
   }else{
   $q = $this->mileage->update(
     $this->user->getName(),
     $this->input->post('date', TRUE),
     $this->input->post('end', TRUE),
     $this->input->post('notes', TRUE)
     );
  }

/* Load the files needed for the view */
  $this->load->view('includes/head', $data);
  $this->load->view('includes/header');
  $this->load->view('mileage_submit');
  $this->load->view('includes/footer');
}

I'm sure there is a way I can improve this or neaten it up. What are your suggestions?

[eluser]jmadsen[/eluser]
Add comments that explain WHY you are doing something, where necessary.

Don't add comments that anyone who understands how to write code can see for themselves.
(ie, $this->load->model('my_model'); // loads the model )

Use your variable names to explain your code where you can.

There are some other things in your code people can help with, but that addresses your question on comments

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
I'd recommend using the form validation library anytime you are processing a form. Keep in mind that you have complete access to post() in your model, and that's the easiest place to do form validation anyways. Community Auth has quite a few examples of form processing and validation done in the models. Couldn't hurt to check that out if your new to CI.

[eluser]jmadsen[/eluser]
Code:
$date = $this->input->post('start', TRUE);

Why pass things into a variable, and then not use them?

Don't call the same function over and over, use your variables.

Also - a shortcut:

Code:
$fields = $this->input->post(null, TRUE);

cleans your entire $_POST and then sets it to an array where you can access it all

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks for the input guys. I think I know what my biggest problem is and I guess all of us have went through it in some way or another. Again, this is my first project that I would call big, and I tend to get ADHD after something works correctly. Instead of stopping, taking a step back, and look over the code I just wrote to see if I could re-factor some things to make it more efficient, I get excited. Then I think to myself, "Cool! What if I do this to that!?" And I move on.

Again, thanks!

[eluser]Vega[/eluser]
I'd recommend docblock style comments so other people and yourself can quickly tell what the method parameters and return type is - although this is not really necessary for controller methods in my opinion. I only really add comments within methods if it's doing something unusual.

So above each method use something like:

Code:
/**
  * Description of method
  * @param  int
  * @param  array
  * @access public
  * @return  boolean
  */

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB