Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How much PHP should I learn before using CI.

[eluser]XeOuRuX[/eluser]
HI, This is is my first post. I want to use CI but I am confused about few things. I am not sure whether I should learn more PHP before using CI. It would be very helpful if you guys suggest me on this matter.My current situation is..........

1.Basic understanding of PHP
2.Done some local development
3.Have not used PEAR or PECL yet.
4.Clear understanding of OOP
5.Clear understanding of MVC.

[eluser]Massaki[/eluser]
You must at least understand a little bit of OOP and MVC pattern. The User Guide is very helpful too, even for experienced programmers

[eluser]XeOuRuX[/eluser]
[quote author="Massaki" date="1354030254"]You must at least understand a little bit of OOP and MVC pattern. The User Guide is very helpful too, even for experienced programmers[/quote]

Thanx for your opinion. Like I said in my post I have very clear understanding of OOP and MVC. But I dont have advanced PHP knowledge. Is it ok to start CI with basic php knowledge?

[eluser]zarcel[/eluser]
Yes, I believe yes. Do something and then look at someones code. You are going to notice the difference and learn something.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
If you can build a site or application with regular php, mysql, etc., then picking up CI should be fairly easy, especially if you know OOP. It's just a matter of getting used to the framework and how it implements the MVC design pattern and all that is available within it.

Best advice I have, besides reading the User Guide and working through the tutorial, is to pick a small simple project and just start doing it. Something simple like a contact manager. I highly recommend reading the user guide in its entirety even if it doesn't all make sense. As you start to code and run into issues, in the back of your mind you'll be reminded of things you've read in the guide and they will start to make sense. If you don't, it will be a lot more difficult as you'll probably start coming up with your own "solutions" to problems when you encounter them where there may be a built-in way to do the same thing, but faster. Having the guide in the back of your mind will save you a lot of time in the long-run.

Most of the questions asked in these forums are due to people not reading the guide and just wanting people to answer things for them. If they read the entire guide before asking, these forums would be a LOT smaller Smile

[eluser]XeOuRuX[/eluser]
[quote author="zarcel" date="1354044891"]Yes, I believe yes. Do something and then look at someones code. You are going to notice the difference and learn something.[/quote]

Thanx.

[eluser]XeOuRuX[/eluser]
[quote author="CroNiX" date="1354051911"]If you can build a site or application with regular php, mysql, etc., then picking up CI should be fairly easy, especially if you know OOP. It's just a matter of getting used to the framework and how it implements the MVC design pattern and all that is available within it.

Best advice I have, besides reading the User Guide and working through the tutorial, is to pick a small simple project and just start doing it. Something simple like a contact manager. I highly recommend reading the user guide in its entirety even if it doesn't all make sense. As you start to code and run into issues, in the back of your mind you'll be reminded of things you've read in the guide and they will start to make sense. If you don't, it will be a lot more difficult as you'll probably start coming up with your own "solutions" to problems when you encounter them where there may be a built-in way to do the same thing, but faster. Having the guide in the back of your mind will save you a lot of time in the long-run.

Most of the questions asked in these forums are due to people not reading the guide and just wanting people to answer things for them. If they read the entire guide before asking, these forums would be a LOT smaller Smile[/quote]

Thanx a lot for your nice advice. I liked it and I will try to follow it.

[eluser]vincej[/eluser]
I was like you - then I picked up- a copy of Tom Myers "Professional Codeigniter" - don't worry about the fact that it was written when CI 1.7 was around the differences are tiny. It will really accelerate your understanding of the MVC framework. Then turn to the user guide - a very valuable document !!

Before you know it you will be writing apps !

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-CodeI...0470282452

[eluser]XeOuRuX[/eluser]
[quote author="vincej" date="1354122956"]I was like you - then I picked up- a copy of Tom Myers "Professional Codeigniter" - don't worry about the fact that it was written when CI 1.7 was around the differences are tiny. It will really accelerate your understanding of the MVC framework. Then turn to the user guide - a very valuable document !!

Before you know it you will be writing apps !

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-CodeI...0470282452[/quote]

Thanx a lot. I have already collected that book and started reading. Its quite interesting.

[eluser]kimme[/eluser]
The level of CI is high. so you must have complete knowledge about PHP and their errors. Don't worry, it's a place where you can increase your Knowledge.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB