Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
poll: most popular web server?

[eluser]mpc[/eluser]
I'm wondering what is the most popular web server, as 2012 draws to a close?

Is it still Apache? ... or an alternative?

What web server do CodeIgniter developers prefer?

If I see a significant number of Apache alternatives, I'll insert them into a 'poll' to count answers.

thanks,
Mike

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
It's still Apache. Google around for statistics.

Also, Apache is built into a ton of different operating systems. Are you asking more about that, or the actual web server software?

[eluser]mpc[/eluser]
[quote author="Aken" date="1355460213"]It's still Apache. Google around for statistics. [/quote]

Thanks - for the succinct update, Aken.

[quote author="Aken" date="1355460213"] Also, Apache is built into a ton of different operating systems. [/quote]

Huh?
`referring to Linux and Android? ... certainly not those from Redmond (which have a fare share of the market) ?

Now that you mention it, though, I'm wondering if a different web server is preferred, especially by CodeIgniter developers, for the current trend toward smaller-display (e.g. mobile) rendering?

Thanks,
Mike

[eluser]mpc[/eluser]
[quote author="Aken" date="1355460213"]It's still Apache. Google around for statistics.[/quote]
Ahhh ... NetCraft ! It's been awhile, since I looked. `shame on me. %-P

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
How does the server software have anything at all to do with rendering in a browser? That's HTML/CSS/JS and the browser - not the software that sent it to the browser.

Rendering to mobile devices usually involves responsive design using media queries and/or js to find the size display the device uses and then adjust the content to that size, such as jQuery mobile, foundation, twitter bootstrap, etc . But it has nothing to do with servers.

[eluser]mpc[/eluser]
[quote author="CroNiX" date="1355506864"]How does the server software have anything at all to do with rendering in a browser? That's HTML/CSS/JS and the browser - not the software that sent it to the browser.

Rendering to mobile devices usually involves responsive design using media queries and/or js to find the size display the device uses and then adjust the content to that size, such as jQuery mobile, foundation, twitter bootstrap, etc . But it has nothing to do with servers.[/quote]

I didn't know ... if there might be a web-server features preference ... which is why I asked! :roll:

Thanks - for the quick, succinct education though, CroNiX.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB