Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 3.0-dev question

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi everybody,

I've been using CodeIgniter since two years now and I'm quite happy with it! This forum and its community helped me a lot, but I've never posted anything actually. I could not find any information about CI v3 and my questions, so I thought it was time to create an account ;-)

I'm planning to write my own CMS and recently I've looked at some other frameworks like Laravel 4, Kohana and Yii, but I decided to stick with CodeIgniter. I know the framework quite well and I think the documentation is unmatched. It would cost me a lot of time to switch and the benefits of the other frameworks (authentication, ORM, PHP 5.3) can not persuade me.

My CMS will be a long-term project and I want to write something really great so it has not to be ready in a few weeks. With only 10 issues left on GitHub, I'm considering to write it upon the development version of CodeIgniter 3. I think it will cost more rewriting to switch from v2.1.3 to v3, then to switch from v3-dev to the stable version of v3. What do you think about this?

Thanks in advance!

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Given the duration terms for your project, I would just start using 3.0. It's already pretty stable, you could potentially help aid development and an earlier stable release, and you could have a product to released based on that version earlier than most others who would wait for the stable release.

[eluser]gabybob[/eluser]
@PBDevelopment

Take a detour http://candlecms.com

FINALLY HERE'S A GED (digital archiving of documents) open source

PHP 5.3 and higher, and higher MYSQL5, Apache2

the DEBIAN Server 7.1 is recommended (very stable)

MLDOCS2 Version 0.9.4.0 is now available with the documentation, it would be that multiple users can test its capabilities and go to a group of developers with a test report.

This version comes from the development version of XOOPS MLDOCS cms.

Despite all this software is powered by CMS http://candlecms.com which itself embeds 10 functional modules version 13.10.18.

good use

Gabriel and dev Team

[eluser]noideawhattotypehere[/eluser]
[quote author="PBDevelopment" date="1357487884"]Hi everybody,

I've been using CodeIgniter since two years now and I'm quite happy with it! This forum and its community helped me a lot, but I've never posted anything actually. I could not find any information about CI v3 and my questions, so I thought it was time to create an account ;-)

I'm planning to write my own CMS and recently I've looked at some other frameworks like Laravel 4, Kohana and Yii, but I decided to stick with CodeIgniter. I know the framework quite well and I think the documentation is unmatched. It would cost me a lot of time to switch and the benefits of the other frameworks (authentication, ORM, PHP 5.3) can not persuade me.

My CMS will be a long-term project and I want to write something really great so it has not to be ready in a few weeks. With only 10 issues left on GitHub, I'm considering to write it upon the development version of CodeIgniter 3. I think it will cost more rewriting to switch from v2.1.3 to v3, then to switch from v3-dev to the stable version of v3. What do you think about this?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

You can always use Eloquent ORM with Codeigniter (the one from laravel).

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
@PBDevelopment

I also started to build my own CMS these days. After a long-time research I decided to stick with CodeIgniter 3.0-dev.

If you want to have easy-maintainable quality code base, It is very important how you would start your project. This is what I tried to do before approaching to the CMS project. I built some kind of a conceptual platform to rely on, in two variants:

https://github.com/ivantcholakov/starter...-edition-3 - this is a platform "by the book". It is CodeIgniter with rearranged folder structure, and with some other third-party stuff collected. The bootstrapping process is deeply reworked. It supports CI 2.x class/file naming convention too, so migration of old code to CodeIgniter 3.0 becomes easy. I have production sites based on this platform.

But my CMS is to have a public part and administration part (two sites, actually). With this platform the public and admin modules/controller/views would share a same file structure which I find inconvenient.

I saw the so-called "XHMVC" implementation by Xavier Perez about two months ago and liked the idea very much. This is the result:

https://github.com/ivantcholakov/starter...-edition-4 - and this is what I am going to use for my CMS. The public and the administration parts are to be separate applications that can share common libraries, models, etc. I haven't used this newer platform for production yet.

Have a look at them and take whatever you like.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB