Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
We really need a better 'Ignited Code' repository

[eluser]Kemik[/eluser]
Has someone started to code a site like this? I've been coding a basic system for the past two weeks (two hours or so a day). I'm not the must experienced coder and my design skills suck but I'd be willing to build something like this.

I'd base it off the list of six points tonan made along with the ability to favourite an item, what the current version is. It would be easy to create a favourites list you can reference then. If it's popular I could make it so the system tells you when an author has released a new version of your favourite items and you can mark if you've updated it to the latest version.

As I said, if someone has already started this, can do it better than me (won't be hard Tongue) or can do it quicker feel free to have a blast at it.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
You know, Derek Jones and I have been talking about this. It sounds like a great idea, and the truth is, I'd personally like to see it. Now the problem: right now we're too focused on CI 1.6.1, and EE 2, to get it done the way we'd like to get it done. So I'm not sure how to say this, but its on our radar, but not probably until those things are done. In the meantime, I'd love to see something spring up around this from the community - and I hope when we do get to do something with the idea, that it will compliment what's already out there.

Derek7976daed596781d8ef208a92365abcd9924ca82a

[eluser]kevinprince[/eluser]
I really like this idea, and am well happy to put up hosting and coding time to build it.

In terms of splitting commercial and open source, how about you just add a Paypal IPN system, where the developer puts there paypal details in and the system enables a Buy Now link.

Not sure if you could charge the developer a one off fee or a % of sales or nothing (though bandwidth does cost Wink )

To move this forward why not PM me, and we can then setup a Basecamp group and work off tonanbarbarians model?

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Thanks for the repy Derek - totally understood with the focused on CI 1.6.1 and EE 2, their the core of the business and hence get full attention. But it's great to hear that you guys would be behind anything that may spring up.

Quote:how about you just add a Paypal IPN system, where the developer puts there paypal details in and the system enables a Buy Now link.

It is a good idea in theory but once you have a community site handling money it can easily cause more problems then it solves. Best off to leave the developer to sell anything and handle payment on their own but still let them list on the site - much like SM2 have done.

Good idea on the basecamp group, more then happy to clear up a free project in our basecamp account if others are interested in doing it that way as well?

tonanbarbarian: I couldn't quite follow your earlier post on if you have already started working on this kind of site already? If so are you willing to allow others to contribute or going to keep it strictly in house?

[eluser]kevinprince[/eluser]
In terms of IPN, I was thinking it went through there Paypal account.

Community never touches the money Wink

[eluser]Kemik[/eluser]
Here's two quick html pages I've come up with.

Home Page
Code Page

My design skills are rubbish so I used an "open source" design from styleshout and tweaked it to match the sites purposes. The rating/download box was photoshoped in. I haven't had chance to code that bit in to the design yet but everything will be more centered (bits are a few pixels out) when I've finished.

Just wanted have a quick play around to see what you all think.

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
I am confused about the talk about paypal IPN etc?
Are you suggesting that if I have a commercial application I should have to pay to list it in the repository?
Or are you suggesting that the repository site takes licence payments for the author?

My original idea about commerical apps and the repository was to allow any app to be listed in the repository and just have a field that lists the licence type.

I think we need to concentrate on making this just an information repository. It will not be where the apps are actually downloaded from. The authors of the apps will need to have the app download files stored somewhere else.
The repository will provide a link to the download file but it will always be a remote link.

If an author releases a commercial app I think it is up to them to have their own site where they take the payments for the app and not rely on the repository site, just as they should have their own bug tracking, forums etc.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
[quote author="tonanbarbarian" date="1201845090"]If an author releases a commercial app I think it is up to them to have their own site where they take the payments for the app and not rely on the repository site, just as they should have their own bug tracking, forums etc.[/quote]

Fully agreed on that one.

Quote:I think we need to concentrate on making this just an information repository. It will not be where the apps are actually downloaded from

I really feel we should have them to be able to be downloaded from this website. I really hate it when you see something that you really want to use but the author's website is down/removed and you can't get a copy of it anymore.

It also allows for a common spot to ensure the files are at their latest version

Kemik: nice work on the mockup and gives a good idea in what direction we would want to head with this project

tonanbarbarian: Are you keen on working with everyone else on the development of this repository, if so I think I will startup a Basecamp project for everyone to use for further communication

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Absolutely 100% agree - CodeIgniter definitely needs a better resource for handling this sort of thing.

On to for pay plugins: I think it should be no issue at all for developers to enter their Paypal address, then have an option to enable certain plugins as "for sale." The community never touches the money - they simply offer the means to define a price and a buy now link. The money goes straight from customer to developer.

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
The issue I have with buying from the repository site is that we already have in place a store that is use to purchase our products and generates a licence. This would require some level of integration.

Most commercial developers want to know who it is who is purchasing their products.

This may be able to be implemented but should perhaps wait for a later version of the site.
Or in the mean time it could be a donation link instead of purchasing.

As for storing the files on the site how about making that optional. I know as a developer who does release several apps, some commercial some not, there is enough work involved in getting a release ready, i do no want to have to upload the files to multiple places.
So maybe have the site optionally store the files locally, or provide the remote link to the download location. Maybe even with some sort of indicator as to whether it is a direct download or more interaction is required, i.e. terms and conditions, site registration etc.

I am certainly keen to work with others on this.
Having said that we saw the opportunity to make an app out of this, so we might build something else after the site goes online and release it on the site. Depends on how good the final site is and if the code used to build the site will be available on the site... if that makes sense.
My expertise these days is with coding and not front end design, look and feel etc. Even a bit rusty on JS, but will help where I can.

Might even be able to talk the boss into hosting if necessary, although I think someone else offered

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB