Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 1.6 hits the streets

[eluser]Derek Jones[/eluser]
Official Announcement

1.6 is finally released! We know many of you have been anticipating the release these past few weeks, and we cannot thank the community enough for the fantastic feedback we received during the beta period. In addition to all of the enhancements and new toys, the Bug Tracker has never looked cleaner, and I think I speak for both Dereks when I say how happy that makes us feel. We weren't just blowing smoke months ago when we said that CI was important to us and would receive the development attention it deserves, and we appreciate everyone's patience in the interim. Hopefully you'll enjoy this release as much as we do!

Code:
class Drinks extends Controller {

function Drinks()
    {
        parent::Controller();
    }

function on_me($qty = 0)
    {
        $this->load->helper('array');
        $this->load->library('bartender');
        $snobby_connoisseur_beers = $this->bartender->beer_list();

for ($i = 0; $i < (int) $qty; $i++)
        {
            $this->bartender->open_beer(random_element($snobby_connoisseur_beers));
        }
    }
}

index.php/drinks/on_me/147

[eluser]Aea[/eluser]
Hmm, very nice. I'll have to test out 1.6 later, "upgrade" is as simple as overwriting all the system (sans applications) folder right? To what degree was the session class improved, I see the guide mentions that it still uses cookies, may I ask what is the purpose behind this and not using PHP Sessions?

[eluser]Huan[/eluser]
Great news for us all. Thank you for the great work.

Hi, Aea, the announcement linked above contains links to both the Changelog which lists all of 1.6's changes, as well as concise upgrade instructions.

Quote:I see the guide mentions that it still uses cookies, may I ask what is the purpose behind this and not using PHP Sessions?

Without opening a debate, it's just been our experience from years of distributing PHP applications targeting a wide array of platforms and PHP versions that native PHP Sessions are unreliable. They are too dependent on the server's configuration to be relied upon, so products such as ours that have wide distribution need to use a separate solution. There is nothing in the framework though that would prevent you from implementing PHP Sessions into your application.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Awesome stuff! Will get this copy into the latest project we are working on.

A big thanks from me and PX Webdesign on not only providing such a great framework but also for being so involved in the forums and allowing the community be so involved in the development and direction of the framework.

To save the questions - How to upgrade from previous versions

Whens 1.6.1? Tongue

[eluser]Aea[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Jones" date="1201782697"]Hi, Aea, the announcement linked above contains links to both the Changelog which lists all of 1.6's changes, as well as concise upgrade instructions.

Quote:I see the guide mentions that it still uses cookies, may I ask what is the purpose behind this and not using PHP Sessions?

Without opening a debate, it's just been our experience from years of distributing PHP applications targeting a wide array of platforms and PHP versions that native PHP Sessions are unreliable. They are too dependent on the server's configuration to be reliable, so products such as ours that have wide distribution need to use a separate solution. There is nothing in the framework though that would prevent you from implementing PHP Sessions into your application.[/quote]

Thank you, must have skipped over that in my rush to see the change log. While I don't wish to drive this thread off-tangent, have you ever considered releasing a "legacy" and a "modern" session class side by side? There are many reasons to use PHP Sessions, just as well as there are many reasons to use Cookie Sessions. It would be very nice to see both offered. I see the framework code produced by CI as being very robust and efficient, having a carry over of this would be highly beneficial, and it would improve image. While I do understand that CI is a framework and often I use only the bits and pieces as necessary, it would improve CIs reviews and ratings if the included sessions class has the ability to be robust and use PHP Sessions, which have become a standard.

I am in no way railing on the choice of cookies as the mechanism for sessions, rather I'm suggesting that both it, and the PHP Sessions support be supported and robust out of the box (database integration, comparison from the database, flash data, prevention of session fixation, etc) which are offered in limited capabilities by user submitted libraries.

[eluser]Armchair Samurai[/eluser]
Excellent news. Major props to eveyone involved.

Just noticed one typo in the user guide changelog:

Quote:Release Date: -- still in development

So... this is still a beta? Wink

[eluser]alvil[/eluser]
Perfect! Is the Users guide also fully updated to 1.6?

[quote author="Armchair Samurai" date="1201783920"]Just noticed one typo in the user guide changelog:

Quote:Release Date: -- still in development
[/quote]

Thanks Armchair, though I fixed that about an hour ago shortly after uploading the new docs - make sure your browser isn't hanging on to a cache!

[quote author="alvil" date="1201784225"]Perfect! Is the Users guide also updated to 1.6?[/quote]

Yep!

[eluser]sherpa[/eluser]
Good News !

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB