Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
News article pages 404

[eluser]CodeIgNewbie[/eluser]
This system's far too convoluted. If I didn't use it for a fortnight I'd forget where everything was. Thanks for you comments, but I think I'll give CodeIgniter a miss and stick with my own bespoke frameworks.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
If you think CodeIgniter is complicated, good luck with any other major framework or project out there.

I didn't say it was complicated, I said it was convoluted. I'm sure it's a good system once you get a chance to use it. Not quite sure that the documentation's as "wonderful" as they think it is though. That's where I get off. Not just me either - check the forum!

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
90%+ of the issues people have doing the tutorial come from the fact that they start there, without reading anything else in the user guide. You tried loading the URL helper and expected it to do something right away, which is a pretty good example of exactly that.

Perhaps the CI team need to address that then? It's a shame - it looks like a good platform. I personally don't have time to scrap unduly with it.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Lol, you're having issues with the simplest CI tutorial on the planet. Don't blame the framework.

I'm certainly not blaming the framework!

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Put this at the very beginning of your News controller's view() method:

Code:
exit('hi, I work fine');

Then look at an individual article page. If you see that message, then your routes work fine, and your model is not returning a news items properly, triggering the show_404() error.

If you still get a 404 error, it's probably a route issue.

[eluser]cjobes[/eluser]
OK, I might get flamed. I hope not. I hope the community is more mature that that.

Having said that... As you can see this is my first post, and I hate that it is, but as a newbie to this forum, I think it is appropriate, since my comments are also a reflection of my first impression.

I come to CI because I have a contractor that works with Kohana, and I was encouraged to go that route, since he is my backup if I am not here and something goes wrong. However, I am not very found of Kohana. It's support is lacking terribly. The documentation is written, to some extent, in a way that you are expected to understand what they are doing. More than that, you click on some links that go to other sites, and those pages are gone, so 404 is what you get.

I wrote the Kohana team to ask about it, and their reply was "Kohana is not a framework that hold's people's hands like some others do. It's very much a "do it yourself" kind of thing." So right from the start I got attitude and a feeling that these guys are not as serious about supporting their framework. This is my work that I am using this for. I can't depend on them.

Knowing that Kohana was an off-chute of CI, I decided to look into CI and see what it was about. Evidently, the articles I read about it were old, because I got more of a feeling that CI folks keep up with their documentation, and I was impressed with what I was seeing of it so far.

Now keep in mind that I just downloaded and began CI today. Much like the person that started this thread. I've read the documentation from the beginning to the end of the news tutorial. Following it in line with how they suggested. In the end, I too can not get the individual news items to appear without a 404. Still can't.

I've been editing with PHP for about 12 years. I've really got more into depth with it the last 7 or so. I say this so you know I have a good understanding of the code, and can likely pickup a problem that I can't find right away, if given a little direction.

That is exactly what the person starting this post wanted. Some direction. Help!

For me, since I had the same problem, finding this thread seemed like a blessing. I actually thought I would be well on my way by now, instead of writing this post.

I understand fully what Aken was trying to do by just providing hints. Thing is, for me anyway, I don't come to a forum to be challenged in that manner. My time is precious, and I have work to do. So when I come to a forum and look for answers, that is what I truly hope to expect to find. I don't have the time to write posts, then wait... get an answer to my post, that really isn't an answer, then write again, and wait... only to do it all over again. Fortunately it is the end of the day for me now, so here I am taking the time to write.

So far, as of my posting, nothing was given as an answer to be helpful to any persons reading this thread. Yes, I placed the
Code:
exit('hi, I work fine');
and it said it worked fine, but I still have nothing to help me get on my way.

You may scoff at me, or the idea that CodeIgNewbie was so fast to walk away, but you really have yourself to blame for that. You offered nothing in lieu of support that got him, or myself for that matter, the answer we needed that might have helped us gain knowledge and understanding, and the possibility that we continue to grow with CI.

So I'm going to ask anyone that might know the answer to the question this original post began with to please step up and provide an answer, or how we can find the answer, and what we might do. Be bigger than the team at Kohana, and help your brothers and sisters out. Show that this really is a community of help.

We're not looking for teachers. That is what the tutorial is for. But if that doesn't work, then we are looking for answers so we can be fast on our way.

C

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
[quote author="cjobes" date="1363302381"]You may scoff at me, or the idea that CodeIgNewbie was so fast to walk away, but you really have yourself to blame for that. You offered nothing in lieu of support that got him, or myself for that matter, the answer we needed that might have helped us gain knowledge and understanding, and the possibility that we continue to grow with CI.[/quote]

You think statements like this are going to motivate me or others to help you? You've essentially said "I don't want to solve the problem myself, I want someone to tell me the answer because my time is more important."

Well, unfortunately for you, I'm going to do the same thing I've done this whole thread:

If the exit message shows up fine, then your view() method is being found normally. That means the 404 error is being caused by the show_404() function. You tell me why.

If someone else wants to just hand you the answer, then so be it. But I don't hand out treats to beggars.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB