Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
HMVC Dropped from CI 3.0

[eluser]cpassas[/eluser]
Does anyone know why HMVC was dropped by CI 3.0? I've seen a mention it would be in 4.0 but that is literally years away.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
HMVC was never a part of the CI core. It's a third-party add on.

[eluser]cpassas[/eluser]
Here is the link:
http://ellislab.com/blog/entry/codeignit...nouncement

The text I'm referring to is the following.

Quote:This means that while we work on fixing bugs in the stable 2.1 branch we can work on big new features such as HMVC and the integration of Sparks, along with some great ideas we’ll announce at a later date. All changes and bug fixes going into 2.1.x will be merged with 3.0 (the develop branch) as we go, so no work is being duplicated in development time. This simple means we need you to pick which branch to send your pull request to: bugs in 2.1 and new features in 3.0.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
v3 could literally be years away too. There is no official release date and most of the people who were working on it have bailed. Don't hold your breath.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
It still was never "dropped". It was something being worked on as a potential addition to the core in 3.0 - you can see the "hmvc-lite" branch on Github. However, development on it has pretty much stalled. It may still potentially be added in the future, but I wouldn't expect it for 3.0.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
The HMVC implementation proposed by 'dchill42' in his pull request on github completely alters the core structure of CodeIgniter, it will alter the Ellislab product irrevocably if it is ever introduced.

HMVC can easily be integrated into CI without such a dramatic change to the core. It's a pity there are no alternative pull requests that are more considerate to the foundation that CI already provides.

[eluser]cpassas[/eluser]
I did see that pull request and it looks like a lot of changes to implement. I haven't read though the code change but the developer did say the following:

Quote:This implementation aims to be fully backward compatible with version 2.1. Great care has been taken to ensure that upgrading users can continue to use the framework in the same way they used to, even if they don't take advantage of the HMVC feature.

P.S. - Don't be frightened by the number of new lines of code in this request - 2/3 of that is new unit test code.

At least from the developers point of view this should be a non-breaking change and a lot of the new code is related to Unit Test.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB