Multiple Environments

#11
[eluser]xtremer360[/eluser]
So git and github are two different things? I ask because I have a repository for this application.

#12
[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
[quote author="xtremer360" date="1363121141"]I thought Zend Studio was just for mobile apps?[/quote]
Then what was it used for for all of the years before there even was a "mobile"? Smile

It's for PHP everything (Zend makes PHP).
http://www.zend.com/en/products/studio/

#13
[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
[quote author="xtremer360" date="1363121551"]So git and github are two different things? I ask because I have a repository for this application.[/quote]
Github uses GIT. It's a remote repository where you can clone projects, contribute to them, etc., but they all use GIT. They have public repos, like codeigniter, and private ones that you can purchase for your own use. Personally, I use my own server to host my git repositories. I use github for public things.

#14
[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
You likely will not have control over your server in order to add git and get a workflow similar to what CroNIX uses (most average people won't). Other solutions include:

http://beanstalkapp.com/ -- Paid plans include deployment, where changes are pushed to the specified FTP location. Easiest solution, but has monthly costs.
https://github.com/resmo/git-ftp -- A set of FTP commands added to the git command line, for pushing changes to specified FTP locations. Harder for beginners / those not comfortable with the cmd line, but free and can be automated with aliases / shell scripts / etc.

#15
[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
True, all of my servers are dedicated or Linodes where I have full root access.

#16
[eluser]xtremer360[/eluser]
I just want something that I can have one file system on my laptop and when I've completed a file have it be pushed to my development server on dev.myurl.com and then after testing and it passes then have it passed to my main site on myurl.com.

I looked at git-tower.com which looks great but is costly. Has anybody used this software and could give me some critiques on the software and/or suggest some alterior software for me to use.

#17
[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
I just use plain old git, which is free. It comes with gitgui, which is more than adequate 99% of the time. The other 1% I need to use the command line. I've tried expensive GUIs (trial versions), and more often than not I still need to use the commandline 1% of the time so why bother.

The majority of the time all you are doing is creating branches, switching between branches, merging branches, deleting branches, making commits, pushing/pulling. That's easy stuff. Try just using gitgui before spending money on something you probably don't need. The basic, free git (and gitgui) will do everything you say you need it to and a lot more. Remember, those GUIs are using the command line behind the scenes too. They don't do anything that git can't do.

#18
[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
[quote author="xtremer360" date="1363127937"]I just want something that I can have one file system on my laptop and when I've completed a file have it be pushed to my development server on dev.myurl.com and then after testing and it passes then have it passed to my main site on myurl.com.[/quote]

Easiest possible way to do this is to use Beanstalk and set up different deployment servers for different git branches. Use develop branch and push that to dev URL, master branch pushes to production URL.

I think https://bitbucket.org/ might offer a similar service, too, for free (don't quote me on that -- I've never used their services).

Quote:I looked at git-tower.com which looks great but is costly. Has anybody used this software and could give me some critiques on the software and/or suggest some alterior software for me to use.

I use it daily, and would recommend it. However you should become familiar with the basics of git via the command line first.


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2021 MyBB Group.