Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Can PHP be used to upload 4GB files?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I am using codeigniter for my clients website, website is about videos. My client is having videos which varies from 500MB - 6GB. Now I want some good practice for uploading these heavy files on server. I dont want to give client any ftp dependencies, can I upload these videos using PHP?

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Welcome to the CodeIgniter forums!

[quote author="nirajchauhan" date="1363109271"]I am using codeigniter for my clients website, website is about videos. My client is having videos which varies from 500MB - 6GB. Now I want some good practice for uploading these heavy files on server. I dont want to give client any ftp dependencies, can I upload these videos using PHP?[/quote]

There are file sharing Web sites out there now, that do exactly that. I suspect they have custom uploaders that maybe split the file into smaller pieces. Uploading a 4GB file would take a long time on a slow connection, and anything larger than that will cause problems if downloaded on a system with a FAT32 partition. One major advantage of an uploader, is that you can give the user feedback, so they know how much has been done and get a rough idea of how long it's going to take.

Can it be done with PHP? Of course, but it would come down to how your server is setup. PHP will kill a process if it's been running for too long, and also limits how much data can be received via GET or POST, but you can overcome both of those quite easily, I'm sure. However, it then comes down to your Web server configuration.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB