Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter Server for testing?

[eluser]whygod[/eluser]
Hi guys,

Is XAMPP is fine for testing CodeIgniter apps?

What do you use for CodeIgniter testing?

Thank you very much in advanced.

[eluser]Otemu[/eluser]
Hi,

XAMPP is fine for testing Codeigniter apps, interface testing, functional tests, browser tests, etc, not sure how XAMPP will handle performance server tests (stress test, load test, etc).

Thanks

[eluser]jairoh_[/eluser]
of course.

[eluser]boltsabre[/eluser]
>> Is XAMPP is fine for testing CodeIgniter apps?

Personally, I develop on xampp, and if it's just a very simple site, then it should be fine. But as soon as you start to add any complexity you really should have an online "staging/testing" server. It should mirror your online productive server exactly (or as close as you can)!

When I pushed my last site from xampp online, it took me over 24 hours to get it to work on my test server. You've got to make sure that the DB is set up correctly, and don't forget that your server might be running different versions of sql (whatever flavour, mysql or something else) or php, in which case you may code that doesn't work. I had (don't ask me how...) 2 conflicts with file names with the dreaded uppercase/lower case "bug" (for want of a better word), and many other things. I had problems getting the opcode cache working correctly on my site. And I'm not .htaccess expert, and I was okay, but I've heard of crazy things happening between xampp and online servers.

So, I'd have an online test server, push to there first, test extensively. Once that's passed, push it onto your productive server, and you guessed it, test again!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB