Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
User Agent: or I'm doing something wrong or the library is missing something

[eluser]D3N14M[/eluser]
Hi, I'm developing a website for both, mobile and PC, and I noticed that the User Agent Library doesn't get the model of the mobile, it gets the manufacturer. If I need the model of the mobile, is there any function that I'm missing? or the User Agent library is not made thinking about returning that info?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
The user agent should know this. It will tell you what browser they are running on the mobile, but there isnt much else they can do. It will probably tell you the mobile's OS too, but model is irrelivant.

[eluser]D3N14M[/eluser]
Actually, for this project it is very relevant (otherwise I wouldn't be asking of how knowing it :p). Actually, de User Agent library of PHP can obtain the model, the manufacturer, the OS, and some more info.

I wanted to know if the library was made thinking about getting this info, or if I had to make an extension for it so I can get this info.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Obviously I was not trying to tell you what you would need. I meant that the model would be irrelivent to the user agent code as it is not something it captures as far as I know.

Either way if PHP can do it or not (I doubt it, it doesnt tell me what Dell model im on does it) then CI does not. An extention to the Validation library would make this possible if PHP can indeed tell the model.

[eluser]D3N14M[/eluser]
The model that I'm looking for is not for PC, is for mobile devices. I have seen lots of webs (specially webs of mobile content) that recognizes the model of the mobile, the OS, etc. And its captured by the User Agent header information, so if PHP can obtain some of the User Agent, it can obtain all of it. Since there's no much mobile devices that doesn't support Javascript, I need to obtain it by PHP.

So if the library doesn't obtain it, I'll have to make an extension to obtain the info that I need.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB