Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is CodeIgniter development dead?

[eluser]Infinitum[/eluser]
CI 2.2 was released!!! My congratulation!!!

[eluser]iKode[/eluser]
Unfortunately... ( fortunately for me ) I've moved on to using Composer and Slimframework as my basic router. Best decision I've made, now I have the freedom to pick n choose what components I want to use instead of being stuck with a full stack framework and beholden to the creator of said framework for updates.

It was not a decision that was made lightly as I have numerous projects written in CI and really wanted to continue using CI. But learning how to properly use PSR compliant libraries and develop within FIG standards has made me a much better developer. I suggest that many of you look into this as well.

[eluser]highendcode[/eluser]
[quote author="iKode" date="1411498714"]Unfortunately... ( fortunately for me ) I've moved on to using Composer and Slimframework as my basic router. Best decision I've made, now I have the freedom to pick n choose what components I want to use instead of being stuck with a full stack framework and beholden to the creator of said framework for updates.

It was not a decision that was made lightly as I have numerous projects written in CI and really wanted to continue using CI. But learning how to properly use PSR compliant libraries and develop within FIG standards has made me a much better developer. I suggest that many of you look into this as well.[/quote]

how so , how has it made you better and how was codeigniter holding you back?

[eluser]albertleao[/eluser]
For those wondering about transition to a different framework, I can offer my knowledge of Laravel.

I still code heavily in both codeigniter and laravel, but after learning the features of laravel, there simply is no comparison.

Codeigniter gets the job done and there's nothing I can't do with it, but with Laravel, everything is simply easier.

Composer is already baked in and many new packages are written in composer with optional packaging services to integrate even deeper with laravel. The eloquent orm is beautiful and easy to use. The application structure makes a lot more sense. The ease of debugging is much higher.

One thing I've noticed now that I am proficient in both Laravel and Codeigniter is that I'm writing significantly less code on Laravel than I would on Codeigniter to do very similar things. Also, Laravel right now has an unbelievably active community and the framework is so heavily tested that it gives me a much larger sense of comfort.

I'm not saying codeigniter isn't tested, as I know it is, but with Laravel, not only is the framework thoroughly tested, but new packages that are coming out are being thoroughly tested with Laravel first to make sure it works. This makes it much easier to develop things quickly.

If you want a list of some reasons I prefer the Laravel distribution here you go:
-Eloquent / Query Builder (I use PHPActiveRecord with my CI project and there is no comparison)
-Blade Templating
-Integration with composer (with the services and providers)
-Debugging tools
-Application structure
-Adherence php 5.5+ features that make coding much much easier
-Artisan (command line tool for testing, querying a db, route testing, and scaffolding)
-Routing system (Now that I'm used to it, I much prefer a stricter routing method compared to CI's magic auto router)

I follow Taylor Otwell and a few other php developers on twitter and it's fun to see them and the heads of php discussing best practices and how to implement them into their systems in the most efficient and non-breaking way.

[eluser]redcloud80[/eluser]
@albertleao, which version of CI are you talking about?

[quote author="redcloud80" date="1412616588"]@albertleao, which version of CI are you talking about?[/quote]

One of my major applications is running on CI 2.2

My laravel application is on 4.2

[quote author="albertleao" date="1412616902"][quote author="redcloud80" date="1412616588"]@albertleao, which version of CI are you talking about?[/quote]

My laravel application is on 4.2[/quote]

I never tried CI 3 develop branch and I'm just curious to know if the gap you talked about between CI and Laravel would be somehow filled by that version.

[quote author="redcloud80" date="1412617595"][quote author="albertleao" date="1412616902"][quote author="redcloud80" date="1412616588"]@albertleao, which version of CI are you talking about?[/quote]

My laravel application is on 4.2[/quote]

I never tried CI 3 develop branch and I'm just curious to know if the gap you talked about between CI and Laravel would be somehow filled by that version.[/quote]

No, not at all. It's too massive a jump and Laravel uses newer methods that don't fit in CI.

[eluser]MrTomTom[/eluser]
Thanks for the info -- Just inspired me to actually start my first Laravel project rather than just talk about it!

[quote author="Alucemet" date="1366921672"]Is CodeIgniter development dead?[/quote]

No. Closed.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB