[quote author="stevezissou" date="1202685843"]
-Can you call me Stevesy?
Hahaha...only if you can locate a pair of Steve Zissou adidas.[/quote]

What size do you wear Stevesy?
http://search.ebay.com/zissou-adidas-sho...p1638.m120

or a cheaper method...
http://www.h-list.com/the_hlist/2004/12/...issou.html

[eluser]stevezissou[/eluser]
That sounds pretty interesting and quite a large undertaking. Even if it does not turn out quite the way you are wanting, I still think it is an important discussion to be having. Really this is also a discussion for any PHP application regardless of whether or not you use a framework to implement MVC or write your own MVC framework from scratch. At some point the developer will have a large chunk of logic, classes, interfaces, abstract classes, etc that do not fall into the MVC paradigm. What is the best way to handle and organize that in PHP ... and in this case, what is the best way to organize and handle this within CI?

The CI custom library support works great for applications that are primarily within the MVC paradigm and only have a handful of "outside" objects. But as we have the seen the application needs can outgrow this.

As for PHP4, do you think it might best not to worry PHP4? The object model in PHP4 is pretty much crap to begin with. The "pass-by-reference" functionality of objects is basically defunct in PHP4 unless you specifically hardcode it in with "&". (then you have a bunch of "&"'s all over the place in your code) Otherwise, in PHP4, all your objects are consistently copied and copied and copied. When you actually start to manipulate objects, you are actually manipulating a copy of the object you intended to modify and not actually the object itself. I think it'll get really tricky down the road.

Right now I can do a ton of object-oriented things and not worry so much because I am using PHP5...but if I was targeting 4 for my application, I would have to seriously limit myself.

Haha, good call on the Zissou's but they aren't originals! Smile I don't think Adidas released any...which is unfortunate. It probably would have been the best selling pair.

[eluser]xadio[/eluser]
Quote:That sounds pretty interesting and quite a large undertaking. Even if it does not turn out quite the way you are wanting, I still think it is an important discussion to be having. Really this is also a discussion for any PHP application regardless of whether or not you use a framework to implement MVC or write your own MVC framework from scratch. At some point the developer will have a large chunk of logic, classes, interfaces, abstract classes, etc that do not fall into the MVC paradigm. What is the best way to handle and organize that in PHP ... and in this case, what is the best way to organize and handle this within CI?
Yea, what I am encountering is that the majority of my code does not fall into MVC, and for the most part I don't want it to. Good point, I really like CI for it's lightweight aspect and want to stay within it. I will use the MVC for accessing my logic, but I don't want my logic to be in an MVC.

Quote:As for PHP4, do you think it might best not to worry PHP4? The object model in PHP4 is pretty much crap to begin with. The “pass-by-reference” functionality of objects is basically defunct in PHP4 unless you specifically hardcode it in with “&”. (then you have a bunch of “&“‘s all over the place in your code) Otherwise, in PHP4, all your objects are consistently copied and copied and copied. When you actually start to manipulate objects, you are actually manipulating a copy of the object you intended to modify and not actually the object itself. I think it’ll get really tricky down the road.
Maybe PHP5 would be a better way to go, especially since the functionality is primarily needed for PHP5 users. It would also be more work keeping both PHP4 and PHP5 support.

I haven't searched for anything like this as I don't even know what it would be called, but are there any projects within CI which pertain to this issue before we start spending a lot of time brainstorming ideas and coding. If you would like to help me design/code something like this let me know. Since we seem to be on the same page, I would like your ideas on the subject or at least features you would like to see. This should also probably be taken to a different thread.

So far nothing sticks out in http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Special:Titles and a forum search for PHP5 doesn't come up with anything. I did find, http://kohanaphp.com/home.html which seems like the community version of CI (BlueFlame).

Yea it is sad as I would love to have a pair. The real question is why hasn't Wes Anderson come out with a clothing line!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB