Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Load view outside the "views" folder

[eluser]docmattman[/eluser]
I have several views in my application/views folder. I want my app to be theme-able. The theme folder is located outside of my application folder. The theme folder would have it's own views folder (i.e. theme/views).

What I'm trying to do is check if a view file exists in the theme view folder and if so, use it, otherwise use the application/views file. The purpose of this is that I can create all the views I need for my application, but the person doing and design work can decide to overwrite my app view with a custom one (in case they want to add more HTML tags or make other changes). I have tried this:

Code:
$this->load->view('/full/path/to/my/theme/views/file.php');

However, this always gives me an error:

Quote:Unable to load the requested file: /full/path/to/my/theme/views/file.php

I know the full file path exists and is readable. I believe the load->view function is restricting view files to only my app folder. Is there a way to load a view from a folder outside my application/views folder?

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Kind of, but not exactly the same. Check load::file(); Of course, you can always just include() your file...

[quote author="CroNiX" date="1370927811"]Check load::file(); Of course, you can always just include() your file...[/quote]

My issues with these suggestions:
1. I need to be able to pass variables into the view.
2. I need to be able to return the view as a string.
3. I need to be able to load another "themeable" view from inside the current "themeable" view.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Check how they load view files. You can extend the loader class with your own view_theme() method and use your own path instead of using the VIEWPATH constant.

Okay, I'll have to check into that check into that. I was hoping there was a built in way to do it. Thanks for the help.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
If all of your views are going to come from this directory, and not use the default ./application/views dir, then you can just set the $view_folder in index.php.

I'm keeping all of my views in the application/views folder. But I want the whole thing to be themeable. So if someone creates a theme, they can choose to override one of my view files by putting a file with the same name in the theme/views folder. For this reason, I want to create a "load->themeableview()" function to first check if the file exists in the theme before loading my default one.

Looks like I'll most likely have to extend the loader class to accomplish this.

For anyone trying to accomplish this same thing, I got it working by extending the loader class. It first checks to see if the file with the same name is located in the theme/views folder and if that doesn't exist, it loads it from the application/views folder install. Here is the code I used to do it.

Code:
<?php

class MY_Loader extends CI_Loader
{
public function __construct()
{
  parent::__construct();
}

/**
  * View Loader
  * Loads "view" files from theme or view folder.
  * @param string $view View name
  * @param array $vars An associative array of data
  *    to be extracted for use in the view
  * @param bool $return Whether to return the view output
  *    or leave it to the Output class
  * @return void
  */
public function themeable($view, $vars = array(), $return = FALSE)
{
        $themeFile = '/full/path/to/theme/views/'.$view.'.php';
        if(file_exists($themeFile)) return $this->_ci_load(array('_ci_path' => $themeFile, '_ci_view' => $view, '_ci_vars' => $this->_ci_object_to_array($vars), '_ci_return' => $return));    // Get from theme
        return $this->view($view, $vars, $return);        // Get from views
}
}

[eluser]Pert[/eluser]
This should also work if I remember correctly

Code:
$this->load->view('../../themes/default-theme/viewfile');

Another option is adding package path, this will also add additional folders where CodeIgniter checks views from.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB