Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What are the advantages of Codeigniter against frameworks as of zend, cakephp, and symphony?

[eluser]solid9[/eluser]
@wiredesignz
By the way If just in case you are interested to acquire CodeIgniter and need assistance.
I know one person that also love CodeIgniter and can help you a lot.
Just private message me if you are serious and interested.

Lets just accept the truth, CodeIgniter need to be re-written from scratch again.
To tell you the truth I don't want CodeIgniter to be dead someday because it carry the Ultimate Name --> CodeIgniter. A perfect PHP framework name for web programmers like us.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
@Solid9,

I doubt very much that Ellislab will transfer or sell CodeIgniter to anyone who could not prove that they could provide proper support for it.

CodeIgniter does not need to be rewritten. It performs perfectly fine as it is. It is still one of the fastest frameworks. You can even use namespacing with CodeIgniter if you're smart enough.

People need to get over this hype about frameworks and stop hoping that the newest thing out there will make them better coders. It won't.

[eluser]solid9[/eluser]
@wiredesignz
I respect your opinion dude.
I hope ellislab will announce soon the candidates for new owners.
And post their names and the reasons why they are candidates.

I'm also hoping that the candidates will at least post their future plans for CodeIgniter.
So we can or Ellislab pick the best candidate to be the new owner.

I hope the people who wanted to be the new owner will post their names here.
And post their plans. So everyone knows about the future of CodeIgniter.
We really need transparency here.

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
@solid9

Quote:We will be also happy if the license is converted to GPL so everyone can contribute.
and many moreā€¦

No. "We" would not be happy. The MIT license will make "us" happy.

[eluser]solid9[/eluser]
@ivantcholakov
Sorry I forgot to mention the MIT license dude.

So

[eluser]luisvallin[/eluser]
Thank you for your comments I really appreciate each of these.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
Yes, I've been lurking, and this thread is too funny.

1) The idea that namespaces will turn CodeIgniter into a "modern framework" is like trying to say a new engine will turn your daily driver into a race car. While namespaces are cool for PSR-0 autoloading, I've yet to come across a situation where I had two classes that were named the same and really needed the namespaces to use them both at the same time.

2) As wiredesignz said, moving to or using another "modern framework" will not make people better coders. I lurk on the Laravel forum often, and it's funny to see the migration of newbs over there, asking the same dumb questions. Using Laravel, which is deemed a "modern framework", doesn't make a dev capable, and in my opinion it actually makes some things harder than CI.

3) As solid9 pointed out, the CI license is crap. We want MIT or BSD, and if you say you don't, then you don't understand the complexity of licensing. This is the reason why I bailed on CI. It wasn't that CI wasn't a "modern framework", it was this friggin license issue.

I'm hoping that CI will evolve into something better, but if that includes backwards compatibility and the OSL3.0 license, I'll personally never use it again. It may not be dead, but it's dead to me.

BTW, how's everyone doing? I'm still working too much, but feel blessed. God is good.

[eluser]luisvallin[/eluser]
ok.... very thanks!!!
My conclusion is :
-Codeigniter only focused on web development
-Is Codeigniter a development tool and not a methodology
-Is a dynamic web page necessary for the implementation of codeigniter. But not very large or extensive.
-Is it not able to use codeigniter if a webpage doesnt implement a database
-In Codeigniter can you use css platforms. but you better start from start
-Codeigniter is faster than other frameworks
-is easy to learn
-html css mysql php and fully comply with codeigniter

-Codeigniter is not currently used by many programmers.
-php need to know 100% to learn codeigniter.
-the libraries and helpers is the most important in codeigniter.
-codeigniter is used to apply security or additional modules to a page in php.

this is correct?

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
@luisvallin

Quote:-Codeigniter only focused on web development

Yes. Web-development is a popular phrase that refers to technical implementations based on so-called HTTP-protocol. Your computer (the client) makes a request in a plain text format, and somewhere in the world another computer (the server) provides a corresponding response. The response is being interpreted and for example it gets visualized as a web-page in your browser. Here is the easiest way to have an idea how the HTTP-protocol works: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/AsImplemented.html. CodeIgniter as a piece of software resides on the server and its main purpose is to accept HTTP-requests and returning HTTP-responses.

Quote:-Is Codeigniter a development tool and not a methodology

CodeIgniter is a development tool. I could claim that because it prevents a developer to invent the wheel again and again. It contatins tested classes and routines that you can just use.

About methodologies: PHP alone provides two methodologies: functional programming and object-oriented programming (OOP). As a bonus CodeIgniter provides two more methodologies:

1. CodeIgniter is a framework. This means that the developer has limited control on how code execution flows starting from the received request and ending with the produced response. In the different stages of code execution the developer is able to modify code execution in oder to provide the corresponding response, based on request's parameters. There are at least two means to do that: controllers and so-called hooks.

One technical detail, see the file index.php at the root of CodeIgniter https://github.com/EllisLab/CodeIgniter/.../index.php. At the end you will see the line
Code:
require_once BASEPATH.'core/CodeIgniter.php';
At this point the framework gets in charge on code execution.

2. Out of the box CodeIgniter provides so-called Model-View-Controller (MVC) methodology. A detailed explanation (that is good in my opinion) of the benefits of this methodology you may find here: http://symfony.com/doc/current/book/from...fony2.html. Currently, with third-party libraries Hiearchical-Model-View-Controller methodology (http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/hv...plication/) may be applied.

Why do we need any methodologies? They help us to deal with code/system complexity.

So, CodeIgniter is a development tool and it upgrades methodologies of PHP with at least two more ones.

Quote:-Is a dynamic web page necessary for the implementation of codeigniter. But not very large or extensive.

There is no theoretical limit for CodeIgniter on complexity. If you find that for large web-site another framework is more convenient and practical - so be it.

Quote:-Is it not able to use codeigniter if a webpage doesnt implement a database

This is wrong. Database connection is not mandatory. You can build a CMS that is based on file-system only, if you wish so.

Quote:-In Codeigniter can you use css platforms. but you better start from start

I can't understand this.

Quote:-Codeigniter is faster than other frameworks

If you dare to claim this, how did you measure how fast CodeIgniter is?

Quote:-is easy to learn

My subjective experience says so too.

Quote:-html css mysql php and fully comply with codeigniter

I am not sure what do you mean here.

Quote:-Codeigniter is not currently used by many programmers.

Again, how did you measure this? :-)

Quote:-php need to know 100% to learn codeigniter.

Well, yes.

Quote:-the libraries and helpers is the most important in codeigniter.

Delete this naive claim, it has no sense.

Quote:-codeigniter is used to apply security or additional modules to a page in php.

CodeIgniter provides some security features that you can use. Some kind of modularization may be implemented although it is not out of the box.

At the end: I wish you success with your homework. But if you really want to know these things, build a small site, publish it somewhere in the Internet and be proud of that.

[eluser]NeoArc[/eluser]
I like CI because it is the fastest of all (regular) frameworks.
I wonder who will take charge of it, and when wil this happen.
Here are some benchmarks, (of course "Hello World" is not a real case scenario)

http://docs.phalconphp.com/en/latest/ref...world.html

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB