Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
codeigniter and Elislabs

[eluser]gabybob[/eluser]
OK, I read on a site that ELISLAB looking for a buyer for CodeIgniter, hummm, it puts the balls to afontionados the framework, those who think that CI is a framework of choice ...., gloupppps balls

attention, I do not know the American language background, thank you google trad

Write, we candidate recovery C.I

thank you Doctor;

[eluser]keevitaja[/eluser]
ellislab is not looking for the buyer. they want to give it away.

read the article and comments: http://ellislab.com/blog/entry/ellislab-...odeigniter

most likely they will not find a suitable canditate...

[eluser]Alucemet[/eluser]
The only reasonable thing they could do is switch licensing to MIT or BSD and tell all parties interested to have at it. It's BS to have any other requirement(s).

imho license has nothing to do with it.

CI has become "legacy framework" and it is not easy to find someone who is willing and as well QUALIFIED to "port" CI into PHP 5.3 framework. there are just so many great PHP 5.3 frameworks allready out there.

so i think, that ellislabs "woke up" bit too late.

[eluser]gabybob[/eluser]
Hello keevitaja,

Thanks for your POSTS

do not sell the bearskin before you KILLED, CI is still full of life and one man is not suitable for this work of recovery ...

We have seen the results with CI France who was a shy showcase the Francophone community.

OK anyway there is nothing more difficult to take the dev CI from 2.1.4

PHP6 is released?? NO then C.I for version 3.0 should be quiet

thank you for Anglophones to be lenient for translation errors, for Francophones I publish a Source

kiss all C.I Women's and Men's

TRADUCTION

Hello,

il ne faut pas vendre la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir TUé, C.I est encore plein de vie et un seul homme n'est pas approprié pour réaliser ce travail de reprise...

Nous avons vu le résultat avec C.I France qui n'a été qu'une vitrine timide de la communauté francophone.

OK quoi qu'il en soit il n'y a rien de compliqué à reprendre le dev de C.I à partir de la 2.1.4

PHP6 est-il publié ??? NON alors pour C.I version 3.0 doit être calme

pour les Anglophones merci d'être indulgent pour le fautes de traduction, pour les Francophones je publie la version source

bise à tous les C.I Femmes et hommes

[quote author="keevitaja" date="1376951079"]imho license has nothing to do with it.

CI has become "legacy framework" and it is not easy to find someone who is willing and as well QUALIFIED to "port" CI into PHP 5.3 framework. there are just so many great PHP 5.3 frameworks allready out there.

so i think, that ellislabs "woke up" bit too late. [/quote]

Think about it for a second. If somebody is qualified, the chances they will want to work with the the BS license is null because anybody smart enough to do the job will think the license is a deal breaker. I dare you to defend the license after researching it. It only serves Ellislab and total newbs that build sites that never get seen.

I have the CI framework converted to a modern PHP5.3+ framework using namespaces, autoloading, composer, dependency injection, etc ,etc. and it has some great improvements, yet there's no way in hell that I'd ever share it because of the damn license. I'll put it up on Github the day that Ellislab switches to MIT or BSD, but until then I'll be the only user.

couldn't a new owner change the license? as i underestood the post by ellislabs, they are not seeking a project leader. they want to give the framework away. isn't it so?

[quote author="keevitaja" date="1377043378"]couldn't a new owner change the license? as i underestood the post by ellislabs, they are not seeking a project leader. they want to give the framework away. isn't it so?[/quote]

Well, a license is a license, and as it stands, whether you consider the license bound to the 2.1.X stable version or the 3.X, without modification a person can't just change the license and do whatever they want with it. The terms of the license have to be considered when picking up the project, and as it stands the license isn't as friendly as it could be. Consider the OSL3.0 license that is bound to CI 3.X; it clearly states that any distribution (which includes putting a website online using it) requires letting site visitors know that you are using it's code. Search this forum and you will see that this has been discussed ad nauseum. In my opinion this makes the entire application unsuitable for business use.

For comparison look at the standard MIT and BSD licenses. They are pretty much "do whatever you want" type licenses, and much more friendly. The whole world could use CodeIgniter in ways that we will never know unless:

1) we break the law
2) Ellislab changes the license and lets everyone have at it

You have to wonder why Ellislab would want to give up CodeIgniter in they way they have proposed unless they were thinking about themselves first. Sure, you might say they have contributed such great code to the world and that we should all be humble and grateful, but on the other hand this framework has become an old "legacy" framework that is considered dead by most except newbs. For the greater good the framework should just be released into the wild with a MIT or BSD license. If Ellislab wants to see the greatest potential for CodeIgniter, that's exactly what they would do.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
@Alucemet,

Please elaborate on your post and tell everyone what your definition of an "old legacy framework" is.

I currently use namespacing, static methods and anonymous functions in my applications using CodeIgniter 2.1.3 on my PHP5.3 based server.

So am I missing something here?

@Alucemet still a new owner could change the license in case ellislabs gives CI away. another thing is, if you have a fork of CI or something.

@wiredesignz read this: http://philsturgeon.co.uk/blog/2012/12/5...-a-rewrite

yes, you can use namespaces, but CI does not and what good does a static method give you if you still have to load everything before using it (if you have a fork, it does not really count).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB