Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Starter help

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi all

I am relatively new to code igniter and php although I have coded in perl for many years. I have been following a few really good tutorials online and have managed to build a login page using back end authentication via a MySQL database and sessions.

What I am struggling to understand is I want to be able to check on every page if a user is logged in without having to type loads of duplicate code on each page

I have searched the web and while there are some great posts by some talented users about this subject I am not experienced enough to understand what they are talking about

Some people are saying create a MY_Controller in the libraries directory and within each construct on every page reference this controller. While I have tried to do this I just get errors. Probably because I don't know what I am doing.

What I have so far is

1. Login controller which just displays the login screen
2.verify controller which verifies if that user is logged in, using a model to access the db
3. A home page which I have split into 2 parts. A header which contains a menu and a logout button ( I am also passing a data array to this header to pull out the username and last logged in vars to display) these 2 pages are called by the home controller which is called from the verify controller if they are logged in

4. And a body page with just some placeholder text on it

What I would like to achieve is a simple way of checking on every new page I call if the user has a valid session and is logged in, if not redirect them back to the login page

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciate

Thanks. Mythandra

[eluser]FireMe[/eluser]
would be easier if you post some of you code but here goes nothing.

you want something like in you login process model

Code:
$this->session->set_userdata('logged_user', $user_id);
Which adds your user_id to the session data.

another couple of functions in your model
Code:
function check_logged(){
  return ($this->session->userdata('logged_user'))?TRUE:FALSE;
}

function logged_id(){
  return ($this->check_logged())?$this->session->userdata('logged_user'):'';
}

then on your controllers autoload your model then simple do this on your controllers

Code:
if($this->model_name->check_logged()===FALSE)
            redirect(base_url().'index.php/login/');
        else
  {
   $this->load->view('_test_html');
  }

I am new to coding also but this is what i have learned so far hope it helps

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
/application/core/MY_Controller.php (Goes in /application/CORE (because you are extending /system/core/Controller.php), not a Library)

Code:
class MY_Controller extends CI_Controller {

function __construct()
  {
    parent::__construct();

//load your auth library/whatever (if it isn't autoloaded) and do your login check
    $this->load->library('your_auth_library');
    $this->your_auth_library->check_login();
  }

//create another method that will be available to any controller that extends this controller
  function verify_user($user_id = 0)
  {
      echo 'This is the verify_user method from MY_Controller';
  }
}

All other controllers that you want to have auth checked should now extend MY_Controller instead of CI_Controller....

Code:
class Your_controller extends MY_Controller {

function __construct()
    {
      parent::__construct();
    }

function index()
    {
      echo 'If you are seeing this, you are logged in';

//test the other method
      $this->verify_user();
    }
}
going to http://yoursite.com/your_controller should now perform the login check.

Now, whenever you go to this controller, it will first load the MY_Controller and since the auth check is in it's construct, that will be executed every time before continuing on to your actual Your_controller.

If you have a controller that you DON'T want auth checked, have that controller extend the regular CI_Controller instead of MY_Controller.

You can take this a step further and have several "base controllers" (which is what MY_Controller is). You can have a different one for Front End, Back End, whatever, depending on the needs of your project. Here's a good article on how to take it one step further: http://philsturgeon.co.uk/blog/2010/02/C...ing-it-DRY

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB