Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How can I strip down CI?

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Why not use the Zend Framework? That framework starts out totally stripped down and you piece together what you need.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
No problem xadio, I know you were thinking from a technical point of view - and it was good advice. We all support each other here Wink

[eluser]See64[/eluser]
Just to be sure: following the guidelines posted above will do nothing except making the footprint smaller? I mean, I see no other advantage... if it's unused, it's unused and doesn't harm performance. Am I right?

correct See64. If you aren't limited by a few KB, there's little point.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Thats correct - CI is quite 'light' out of the box, it doesn't even load the database classes as standard.

If you are really concerned just run the following and watch your execution times/memory usuage to see what removals really do have an effect. But just about anything that runs as standard is going to be required but it should be minimal files IMO.

Code:
$this->output->enable_profiler(TRUE);

[eluser]Pygon[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1202520411"]Actually, please don't strip out all comments and redistribute, as it would violate the license. That said, I fully endorse the suggested solution of just removing any unused libraries and helpers.[/quote]

Not to be a bugger, just for curiosity, where does it say that comments (other than the copyright), must be maintained in the source files?

I just mean that according to the license, you can modify, strip and do just about anything that you want as long as the license agreement is included, you note that you did those things and maintain the copyright.

I don't want to risk taking this thread too far off topic, so if you want to further discuss, I'd welcome a new thread. That said, I was referring to this. Each file has something that looks like this at the top of it
Code:
/**
* CodeIgniter
* An open source application development framework for PHP 4.3.2 or newer
* @package        CodeIgniter
* @author        ExpressionEngine Dev Team
* @copyright    Copyright (c) 2006, EllisLab, Inc.
* @license        http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/license.html
* @link        http://codeigniter.com
* @since        Version 1.0
* @filesource
*/

and the license agreement says that if you redistribute the source code that you'll keep the copyright notices there. Since the copyright notice is a comment, if you strip all comments you'll be stripping the copyright notice - that's all.

[eluser]Pygon[/eluser]
Right-o, that's what I though, just making sure.

[eluser]m4rw3r[/eluser]
To easily see which files are included on a request, put this code at the bottom of your controller:
Code:
foreach(get_included_files() as $file){
    echo "$file\n";
}

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
i put the following at the end of the index.php
Code:
echo '<pre>'.print_r(get_included_files(), true).'</pre>';

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB