Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Using email class for large distributions

[eluser]Daniel H[/eluser]
Our member base is in the region of 35,000, and to manage our subscribers a little more easily I plan to use the CI email class for distribution.

However, two questions:

1) Is it feasible to use this for c. 25,000 subscribers to emails? If so, how long would this actually take to process (finger-in-the-air figure)?

2) This may be the dumbest question of the day, but with BCC batching, am I right in assuming this can only be used for identical emails, rather than those that have user specific fields (i.e. unsubscribe links, greetings, etc.).

Thanks all,

Dan.

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
1. yes - speed depends on hardware and network setup, of course.
2. right. swiftmailer has a 'template' which will do some kind of email merge for you - not sure if it works with BCC method or the loop and send method. it also has other goodies for batching. someone wrote a simple interface class or tutorial on how to use swiftmailer. search for swiftmail because sometimes people call it that even though it's not called swiftmail.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
For lists that large, you may want to seriously consider a third party sender like constantcontact or mailchimp or campaignmonitor (I'm not affiliated with any of these services). I'm not saying CI can't do it, just that there is so much other stuff to consider (spam blocking, false blacklist reports, etc) that it probably wouldn't be worth it.

[eluser]Daniel H[/eluser]
Thanks guys - good info. I did consider MailChimp et al, but given the fact we'll barely be sending more than 1 mass email per month, the sheer cost (almost $350 per email with CampaignMonitor!) seems overkill. I think the best move will be to take the risk and code it myself.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Take a look at phplist if you intend to do this yourself.

http://www.phplist.com/

phplist is an open-source newsletter manager. phplist is free to download, install and use, and is easy to integrate with any website.

phplist is designed to manage mailing lists with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. phplist is excellent with smaller lists too!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB