Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What are these files in the CI git repo? Should I remove them from production server?

I am working on upgrade to CI3 for a project I just started. I see that the CI3 github repo has a lot of files/dirs at the root level that I don't expect to use. Can anyone tell me what these are supposed to do? Why are they there? etc. Also, can I safely remove them or am I going to be missing out on some kind of modern magic?
Code:
tests/
user_guide_src/
.travis.yml
DCO.txt
composer.json
contributing.md
license.txt
phpdoc.dist.xml
readme.rst

Any thoughts/discussion -- especially about Composer -- would be much appreciated.

Hi,

The required files/folders are /application and /system.

You can use /tests folder to do your test suite, if you won't you can remove it.
/user_guide folder contains the official CI3 user guide that you can read offline.

Don't matter about the rest, this is absolutly not required to do a new project.

(12-24-2014, 12:33 AM)miko91 Wrote: Hi,

You can use /tests folder to do your test suite, if you won't you can remove it.
/user_guide folder contains the official CI3 user guide that you can read offline.

Don't matter about the rest, this is absolutly not required to do a new project.

What are they for then? Seems odd to have them in the repo at the root of the project unless they are important for something.

(12-24-2014, 09:11 AM)sneakyimp Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 12:33 AM)miko91 Wrote: Hi,

What are they for then? Seems odd to have them in the repo at the root of the project unless they are important for something.

The names are pretty self-explanatory and if you had at least opened them, you'd know it's mostly documentation.

(12-24-2014, 06:07 PM)Narf Wrote: The names are pretty self-explanatory and if you had at least opened them, you'd know it's mostly documentation.
Some perhaps, but I disagree that these are self-explanatory:
Code:
.travis.yml
composer.json
phpdoc.dist.xml
the composer.json file in particular contains this:
Code:
    "require-dev": {
"mikey179/vfsStream": "1.1.*"
}
I'm not sure but the phpdoc.dist.xml looks like it might be a configuration file for PHPDocumentor, which I might actually use. I have no idea what the others are or why I might need to have them in my CI install.

(12-24-2014, 06:44 PM)sneakyimp Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 06:07 PM)Narf Wrote: The names are pretty self-explanatory and if you had at least opened them, you'd know it's mostly documentation.
Some perhaps, but I disagree that these are self-explanatory:

Code:
.travis.yml
composer.json
phpdoc.dist.xml

These files could all be understood with a quick internet search. They are also fairly common from one project to the next.

composer.json: a configuration file for Composer
https://getcomposer.org/doc/01-basic-usage.md

.travis.yml: a configuration file for Travis
http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/build-configuration/

phpdoc.dist.xml: a configuration file for phpDocumentor
http://www.phpdoc.org/docs/latest/refere...ation.html

Whether you need them on your server is dependent on your own use, but they all serve a purpose in the project's repository. The only things you need from the project root are the index.php file, license.txt, and the application and system directories (and their contents). The hierarchy doesn't necessarily have to stay the same as it is in the project, either, though changing it will require additional configuration and/or code changes.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB