Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Safe location of CodeIgniter in Wamp Server

[eluser]dudzartiaga[/eluser]
Hi Everyone,

I am new to web programming. I am wondering if where to put safely the codeigniter files and my files in Wamp Server?

I installed wamp and it's directory is C:\wamp.

I am planning to upload it on the internet, i guess I should start practicing now good habits in CodeIgniter.

Your advises are very much appreciated!

Thank you very much.

[eluser]Otemu[/eluser]
Hi,

Just create a folder within Wamp C:\wamp\mysite and put all your codeigniter files there

When uploading to internet copy the codeigniter files within your site directory folder(e.g C:\wamp\mysite) and paste in the correct directory(e.g public_html folder)

Normally you would setup different configs for different environments, so you could have one for your local(development) and another for live host(production), check out instructions in the guide here look for environment heading.

Hope that helps

[eluser]whatisnewone[/eluser]
u r need reading some books of chmod, chown, ACL, SSH, FTP, HTTP, SQL INJECTION, etc...

[eluser]Tpojka[/eluser]
[quote author="dudzartiaga" date="1384439843"]Hi Everyone,

I am new to web programming. I am wondering if where to put safely the codeigniter files and my files in Wamp Server?

I installed wamp and it's directory is C:\wamp.

I am planning to upload it on the internet, i guess I should start practicing now good habits in CodeIgniter.

Your advises are very much appreciated!

Thank you very much.[/quote]

WWW folder is folder where should be all projects not Codeigniter anly, but any that you make in your localhost. In www folder there should be folder for each project. For example:

Code:
C:\wamp\www\projectname\

In that folder (newly created) you have to put unpacked CI files.
You are calling CI application with:

Code:
http://localhost/projectname/

And that should be that for localhost.

In case you want to copy CI application from localhost to web server, you will just copy files and folders that are inside projectname folder.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
I'd suggest creating a virtual host for each of your projects. It makes life a lot simpler.

[eluser]dudzartiaga[/eluser]
Thanks everyone your replies.

However, I do have a question in mind and here it is:

I heard that www folder in WAMP (C:\wamp\www) is a public folder. Files inside that www folder can be accessed by typing the location in URL bar just like accessing a normal page of your site. I am afraid if you put your CI files inside www, then those files can be access via URL and probably some hacker can alter my files for example a custom helper.

I am not very sure though, does CI knows how to protect itself from accessing via URL bar? Please advise.
If CI can protect itself? Is it 90% safe?

Thank you very much.

[eluser]Tpojka[/eluser]
It is pretty much safe. Programming beginner (not meant to offense at all)
shouldn't worry about safety in framework that is publicaly used and has been developing for almost 8 years.
Safety is achieved by OOP logic, CI bootstrap and htaccess file(s).
If you can't see lack of security, it is safe enough.
But if you see any, feel free to post it somewhere in forums. Wink

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB