Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
A couple questions about CodeIgniter 3 (not release date)

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Firstly, are there any plans to integrate a simple authentication library into the base installation of CI 3?

If not, will current libraries designed for CI 2.1.4 be forwards compatible or will they have to be rewritten or at least tweaked?

Also, how difficult will the process of upgrading from 2.1.4 to 3 be?

Finally, more of a subjective question; at this point in time, does it make sense to start new projects with 2.1.4 or 3?

[eluser]Otemu[/eluser]
There is a lot of uncertainty at moment and a lot of unanswered questions:

Quote:Firstly, are there any plans to integrate a simple authentication library into the base installation of CI 3?
No

Quote:If not, will current libraries designed for CI 2.1.4 be forwards compatible or will they have to be rewritten or at least tweaked?
Might require small tweaks, I doubt there need to be rewritten.

Quote:Also, how difficult will the process of upgrading from 2.1.4 to 3 be?
There is an upgrade guide here https://www.chuongduong.net/ci3/installa...e_300.html for the dev version, doesn't seem to bad.

Quote:Finally, more of a subjective question; at this point in time, does it make sense to start new projects with 2.1.4 or 3?
If your not considering any other frameworks and set on developing with Codeigniter, I would develop with 2.1.4 as it quite stable, not sure when 3.0 will finally be released and what issues it will bring, some people have already started developing with 3.0 and some have commented on the forum to say it fine.

If your open to other framworks then investigate and see what suits your needs, Laravel seems to get a lot of the buzz right now. The most popular frameworks according to Google trends are:

Codeigniter, Zend Framework, CakePHP, Yii Symfony and Laravel

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
[quote author="Otemu" date="1386588193"]If your not considering any other frameworks and set on developing with Codeigniter, I would develop with 2.1.4 as it quite stable, not sure when 3.0 will finally be released and what issues it will bring, some people have already started developing with 3.0 and some have commented on the forum to say it fine.

If your open to other framworks then investigate and see what suits your needs, Laravel seems to get a lot of the buzz right now. The most popular frameworks according to Google trends are:

Codeigniter, Zend Framework, CakePHP, Yii Symfony and Laravel
[/quote]

I've spent a long time considering other frameworks, Laravel in particular. However, I've invested all my time into learning CodeIgniter and unless it's completely justified I can't really afford the time to learn a new framework when there are production deadlines. Moreover, all the websites we create are built using ExpressionEngine, so while it may not be entirely tied to EllisLabs any longer, it still felt logical to use CI as a framework in the case that there needed to be some communication between an EE site and a CI application.

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
[quote author="Integrated" date="1386568094"]Firstly, are there any plans to integrate a simple authentication library into the base installation of CI 3? (1)

If not, will current libraries designed for CI 2.1.4 be forwards compatible or will they have to be rewritten or at least tweaked? (2)

Also, how difficult will the process of upgrading from 2.1.4 to 3 be? (3)

Finally, more of a subjective question; at this point in time, does it make sense to start new projects with 2.1.4 or 3? (4) [/quote]

1. No, I don't see an opened task for that.

2. Some tweaks would be needed for third-party components, especially regarding to the new strict "ucfirst" class naming convention.

3. Switching to CI 3 is relatively easy, when you start a new project. But upgrading large production sites may bring a lot of work and testing.

This is why I released a platform that maintains compatibility for CI 2.x class naming conventions, my code from old projects works on it without modifications:

https://github.com/ivantcholakov/starter...-edition-3
https://github.com/ivantcholakov/starter...-edition-4

4. I don't see for myself an acceptable alternative of CodeIgniter yet. Laravel is actively promoted, but it is too different for my habits. In my opinion FuelPHP 2 would be closer to CodeIgniter as a concept, but there is no a stable release yet.
If you start with a new project, use CI 3.0-dev, it is good enough for production.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB