img_id (pk)
category_id
caption
order

--------------------------
Categories

category_id (pk)
category

I'm just looking for some guidelines in order to create a shortable Gallery like this example (please go to : Portfolio > Portfolio - columns with filter > and choose an option).

I can't figure out though how to develop this. Do I need to have a 'fixed' query, something like:
Code:
SELECT `images`.* , `categories`.`category_name` FROM `images` LEFT JOIN `categories` ON `images`.`category_id` = `categories`.`category_id`
in order to fetch all data or should my query be dynamic, meaning that the `images`.`category_id` will have to change depend on the category selected?

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
You would need a filter check to see how many columns the user wanted then a for loop to loop through the columns.

Code:
if ($filter_count % 3)
{
    // then display 3 columns on a line then a line break and start the next row.
    // If you wanted 4 columns you would change the 3 to a 4 in the if statement.
}

[eluser]Lykos22[/eluser]
[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1394454807"]You would need a filter check to see how many columns the user wanted then a for loop to loop through the columns.
[/quote]

No, its not the number of columns the point ( it will be always 3). What I 'm talking about is the functionality, when the user click on first category to show only images with this category, so on so on.

Well from the looks of your sql it should work, from looking at their web page it just looks like they are loading a new page with the image gallery images.

[eluser]Lykos22[/eluser]
Yes, but when I click on a category ( for instacne in my example the <package design> category) how can I fetch the images that belong to this category each time? I guess this has to be a WHERE statement but do I also have to do it with Ajax?? in this part I'm confused a bit.

If you are storing the image path in your categories then you should be able to pull the image link out.

You could then just build and echo out a img link.

Javascript would give you a better user experience.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB