Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
New to CI, need some help

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I'm new to the idea of an MVC, and really like the idea. I need some help wrapping my head around how to design things a little differently. I have a lot of experience in database design, and generic programming but with an MVC I feel like I'm missing something or that some little thing hasn't quite clicked. Here's the gist of my 'application'

Event objects have a few data types like date title etc, similar to the news tutorial.
Events fall into different categories depending on which department has the event.

These concepts are simple for me to data model.

Sometimes events need to have registration forms.
No 2 event registration forms are necessarily the same as far as data.

This is where things get tricky.

My first instinct is to create a generic event scheme and hand craft each form and database table for each individual event that needs a registration form, but I know there has to be a better way.

Any input on this will be much appreciated!

[eluser]Tim Brownlaw[/eluser]
Hi,

Programming is a bit of an art form and finding the "better" way is sometimes like looking for the "Holy Grail".

I'd go with your First Instinct and get something working... Then you can sit back and see if you can see a better way!

The Best way is the way that gets you up and running the quickest... which might mean being a bit rough and dirty at first, but as you go along, you'll start seeing these "better ways" as you go!

I'm always asking myself "can I do this better"... but that's after I've got something working!

Don't get too hung up on trying to be overly tricky... Just get something working!

And remember that CI is just a platform/framework... all the programming experience you have now, still applies.. So stick with your gut instincts!

Once you've being using CI for a while - like with anything - you'll get to the point where you'll do something and immediately just know of a "better" way... That's what I call "being in the happy place" with what ever you are using, where you can think it, and come up with a nice way to do it quickly... But it just takes time to get there...

Hopefully some of that makes sense Smile

I'm sure that the others on here will have their own views on the matter!

Cheers
Tim

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB