Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
The Future of CodeIgniter

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
CodeIgniter has a future, I can assure you.

BCIT is taking over the project to provide stewardship, continuity, hosting, and to foster ongoing community involvement. This is not meant to be "just a student project".

The codeigniter.com domain is being transferred to BCIT. Once complete, the informational website on ellislab.com will redirect to the new, improved, whiter and oranger than ever codeigniter.com, and the forums on ellislab.com will be “archived”, in favor of the new ones I have setup on my server - necessary because of account privacy on ellislab.com.

At that point, I will be posting a news/blog item about the vision/planning for the project, and inviting the community to participate.

I have been developing and teaching webapps, using CodeIgniter for the last five years. That covers a dozen or so I have built on my own, and over 200 that I have mentored or overseen the development of. I am passionate about CodeIgniter, as are many of you!

James Parry,
CodeIgniter Project Lead

[eluser]startbbs[/eluser]
good news, I am developing my project "startbbs" with CI. hope CI3.0 can be released soon.

[eluser]no1youknowz[/eluser]
Honestly. Much too late, way too late.

CI is great, for legacy applications. Anything newer, there are far better options.

Some of us, even threw away CI because we out grew it and developed our own (much faster and much better) frameworks.

Unless the "new" version of CI encompasses all these things: https://philsturgeon.uk/blog/2012/12/5-t...-a-rewrite . You won't really get back the following you once did. It'll just be for those that really don't know any better or are incapable of learning better coding standards/practices.

You should also bear in mind to trash the unreleased version 3 (which is crap by the way - yes Narg that means you) and clean up the irc channel #codeigniter in freenode. Kick narg out as he struts around like some omnipotent being who is utterly clueless. You may find that the online community may grow as a result.

Finally, why bother? If you look at Quora, Reddit, Stackoverflow and other such places when people ask questions about what framework to use. Everyone recommends either Laravel or Symfony. Never codeigniter. I really hope you guys didnt pay too much for it. Doesnt really seem to make sense to dig up a dead horse to beat it.

Oh and one more thing. Maybe go back to a much more open license. One of the reasons why people left was the debacle of the license version 3 was going to have.

Perhaps if you have this new project being much more open? Maybe someone can take the project and actually do it real justice. Bring it up to PHP 5.6 and beyond standards and actually code the framework properly and not to a poor mans version which narg did.

[eluser]kenjis[/eluser]
[quote author="no1youknowz" date="1413337529"]
Oh and one more thing. Maybe go back to a much more open license. One of the reasons why people left was the debacle of the license version 3 was going to have.
[/quote]

Yes, I want popular permissive open source license like BSD/MIT.

[eluser]albertleao[/eluser]
[quote author="JLParry" date="1413328749"]CodeIgniter has a future, I can assure you.

BCIT is taking over the project to provide stewardship, continuity, hosting, and to foster ongoing community involvement. This is not meant to be "just a student project".

The codeigniter.com domain is being transferred to BCIT. Once complete, the informational website on ellislab.com will redirect to the new, improved, whiter and oranger than ever codeigniter.com, and the forums on ellislab.com will be “archived”, in favor of the new ones I have setup on my server - necessary because of account privacy on ellislab.com.

At that point, I will be posting a news/blog item about the vision/planning for the project, and inviting the community to participate.

I have been developing and teaching webapps, using CodeIgniter for the last five years. That covers a dozen or so I have built on my own, and over 200 that I have mentored or overseen the development of. I am passionate about CodeIgniter, as are many of you!

James Parry,
CodeIgniter Project Lead[/quote]

Sounds good. Although Codeigniter is light years behind some newer stuff, I'm excited to hear what you guys have in store. Please stay in touch.

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
@no1youknowz

Quote:Some of us, even threw away CI because we out grew it and developed our own (much faster and much better) frameworks.

Much faster? Much faster? Which one? Where? Are you the Phalcon's author?

Quote:You should also bear in mind to trash the unreleased version 3 (which is crap by the way - yes Narg that means you) and clean up the irc channel #codeigniter in freenode.

The unreleased yet version 3 is the best code that this project shows at the moment. Either you are in a deep delusion, either you mislead the others intentionally.

[quote author="ivantcholakov" date="1413345761"]@no1youknowz

Much faster? Much faster? Which one? Where? Are you the Phalcon's author?
[/quote]

Who mentioned Phalcon? It's not exactly hard to develop something faster than codeigniter. Jeeze. What your problem probably is. Is that you could be one of those guys who KNOWS php or develops in codeigniter. But doesn't do anything than just adding onto a CMS.

I actually found CI to be limiting in what it can offer. I have around 10 composer packages with my application I previously built ontop of CI. I added in autoloading, namespaces, extended many of the CI libraries, hacked around with the core.

You do realise what a framework is right? CI is really nothing special. It was great at the time, but now its days are firmly pass it. It's not THAT difficult to code a framework. There are only a few simple basic components you need. I don't even use 80% of what CI comes bundled with. In-fact if I were to go to laravel it would be the same case. A lot of good developers have their own libraries in their toolbox. Oh thats right, thats why I made my own framework.

[quote author="ivantcholakov" date="1413345761"]The unreleased yet version 3 is the best code that this project shows at the moment. Either you are in a deep delusion, either you mislead the others intentionally.[/quote]

There lies the problem. The best code for an outdated project. Who here is delusional now?

It's alright. You are probably supporting your favorite framework. You don't want it to die.

I'm interested to hear what the intentions are for the project going forward. But I'm not holding my breath on this one.

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
@no1youknowz

Quote:It’s not exactly hard to develop something faster than codeigniter. Jeeze. What your problem probably is.
I can. You said much faster. Phalcon is to be known to be about twice faster than CodeIgniter, so, your creation could be somewhere between. This is not much faster, the benefit is not enough.

Quote:It’s not THAT difficult to code a framework.
Wrong.

Quote:There are only a few simple basic components you need.
Wrong.

Quote:I don’t even use 80% of what CI comes bundled with.
Strange. Maybe your projects are quite simple even for a minimalistic framework as CI.

Quote:The best code for an outdated project.
By "best code" I objected the word "crap", which is wrong.

[quote author="ivantcholakov" date="1413351565"]
Wrong...
[/quote]

Oh I'm wrong am I? Very funny. Perhaps you just don't know how to code one. You know, there are some developers out there who know how to code. CI is just a bunch of php code. Have you been extensively though it? I have. It's not that difficult you know.

[quote author="ivantcholakov" date="1413351565"]
Strange. Maybe your projects are quite simple even for a minimalistic framework as CI.[/quote]

Nope, its not simple at all. Why would I have bothered to extend CI and its core to the extent that I did. Before moving onto my own framework?

Codeigniter minimalistic? Ha! Good one.

Dude, just give it a rest. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. You are trying to defend a project which clearly you love. But most have left.

This is my last reply to you. So enjoy working on that for now dead framework Wink

[eluser]dmyers[/eluser]
You realize "no1youknowz" is just trolling you? Clearly he/she isn't a CodeIgniter developer they just troll this forum to stir up stuff and to get people onto "their" favorite framework. It's a shame people that don't even use the CI framework still hang around like it's a old girl friend they can't get out of there mind or something? That they stalk to see who she's going out with now and what is she up to without them. That they put down at ever chance they can to justify themselves. The way a real man handles it is just make your decision and "move on" enough said...

None the less I do use CodeIgniter and look forward to the update.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB