Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter4, The Vision

Several posts have asked for a "vision" statement, with a roadmap and timeframe for CI4.

The general vision: simple, lean, useful (no change there).
The CI4 plan: rewrite the framework, taking advantage of lessons learned & community wishes, and exploiting more modern PHP.

Which features & which lessons? that is part of what this subforum is about - getting community input on what needs improving (or discarding) with CI4.

Roadmap? The planned features will drive the roadmap, not the other way around.

Timeframe? Depending on the feature list, and the contribution capability of the core team, my best guess would be a year or two.

All of the above are intertwined. Some desired features are becoming evident by the lopsided poll results, while some are still contested and more are sure to emerge.

At some point "soon", I hope that the community desires will be clear enough that the CI council can huddle, come up with our best plan to build CI4, and present that back to the community as a roadmap.

This reminds me of a situation I have encountered several times doing freelance development...

Quote:A prospective client will describe a vague webapp they want built, with the UI hand-drawn on a napkin, and then ask me for a "ballpark" time & cost estimate, which they won't hold me to (yeah, right). My stock response to this kind of request: $1,000,000 and 1 year; but let's work out some of the details and features needed, and I am pretty sure that estimate can be reduced Undecided

If you still insist on a "ballpark" roadmap and firm release date for CodeIgniter 4: April, 2025. Guaranteed. And it'll have lots of good stuff in it.
James Parry
Project Lead

Quote:If you still insist on a "ballpark" roadmap and firm release date for CodeIgniter 4: April, 2025. Guaranteed. And it'll have lots of good stuff in it.

James, I assume that would be April 1st, 2025? And would those be Canadian or US Dollars <bg><g>

Thanks for the note of humor, it helps.
CI 3.1 Kubuntu 19.04 Apache 5.x&nbsp; Mysql 5.x PHP 5.x PHP 7.x
Remember: Obfuscation is a bad thing.
Clarity is desirable over Brevity every time.

Or as we used to say on IRC when people came over to ask when will CI 3 be released.

It will be ready when it's finished Tongue
Website: marcomonteiro.net  | Blog: blog.marcomonteiro.net | Twitter: @marcogmonteiro | TILThings: tilthings.com

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2015, 02:38 AM by sv3tli0.)

I can suggest a release date and time: 03:14:08 UTC on 19 January 2038 Smile
MAX (INT) + 1
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

that war really funny sv3tli0.

(04-14-2015, 11:30 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: I can suggest a release date and time: 03:14:08 UTC on 19 January 2038 Smile
MAX (INT) + 1

32-bit is outdated ...

(04-16-2015, 05:53 AM)Narf Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 11:30 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: I can suggest a release date and time: 03:14:08 UTC on 19 January 2038 Smile
MAX (INT) + 1

32-bit is outdated ...

Tell that to MySQL...

(04-16-2015, 05:53 AM)MySQL 5.7 Wrote: The TIMESTAMP data type is used for values that contain both date and time parts. TIMESTAMP has a range of '1970-01-01 00:00:01' UTC to '2038-01-19 03:14:07' UTC.
(from https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/datetime.html)

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2015, 12:12 AM by GrigoreMihai.)

I think it will be a good idea to add to Important Threads or a new section the futures that will be implemented in CI 4 for all the community to see them. When the time comes of course.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB