Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
*Project Log* - Dove Forums - Codeigniter Forums Solution
Smile 

Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember me and this project from the days of Ellis Labs forums.

Dove Forums is a Open Source Bulletin Board solutions built on CI3 + Twitter Bootstrap. This project has had many stops and starts due to my private life and work getting in the way. However with the launch of CI3 I thought I would bring this project back to life Big Grin.

You can find the project over at GitHub HERE. At the moment I have only just started it again, so as it stands there is nothing to download yet! its in early development.

Keep an eye on this project as over the next few days I am hoping to have the basic software with basic features setup and working correctly. If you would like to contribute or have any feature requests I would love to hear from you.

Thats all for now, I will update this log as the project moves forward.

Regards
Chris

Good to hear that you are continuing with the web development along with your work(don't know in which firm you are working). Seems to be good idea regarding the Dove forums. Goodluck with that.

i would probably be using this, if it was not for the fact that your using Wireddesigns HMVC solution. Not a big lover of it to be honest. But it is good to see your back working on it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, M5 Inc.

(04-16-2015, 07:12 AM)Hobbes Wrote: i would probably be using this, if it was not for the fact that your using Wireddesigns HMVC solution. Not a big lover of it to be honest. But it is good to see your back working on it.

Hi Hobbes,

What is it you do not like about it out of interest?

Is it just the fact its HMVC over MVC? or is it actually the solution itself?

I have been back and fourth over using HMCV for a small scale project such as this, but I have been using it so long it's become second nature now.

Chris

well to put it simple i just think it is an overlay complex solution when it does not need to be.

I prefer the KISS principle. A solution like Modular CI (although Modular CI is not compatible with 3.0's session).

For a project like this i would see Modular CI and HMVC kind of overkill for what this project is. I would understand if you were making Dove a module for HMVC but in this case from what i see it is not, so a HMVC solution as i said is overkill.

Plus i am not a big fan of CI's packages system which HMVC utilizes.

Quick Update - Still working away at this project, had a set back due to been poorly over the last few weeks.

I have taken the action of removing HMVC from this project, after Hobbes's post regarding it been overkill on the project, it got me thinking ... and I have to agree that there is no place for it at this moment in time.

i would be willing to help out with this project. Just let me know what area's you need help with.

(05-18-2015, 05:08 AM)Hobbes Wrote: i would be willing to help out with this project. Just let me know what area's you need help with.

Hi Hobbes,

Thank you for the kind offer, I would be glad of some help. At the moment im just finishing the main functions for the forums to be functional, After that it will be making the admin panel etc. You can see the status of my code on GitHub and should be able to work out what is going on. You will get a much better picture once i get the demo live ( hopefully tonight / tomorrow )

Chris

ok i will go take a peek at the repo ...

Is your Forum Script still available?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB