Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter popularity : why ?

(05-20-2015, 07:56 AM)mwhitney Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 02:18 AM)jenesaisquoi Wrote: [...] even after being dropped by ellislab in 2013 and its development being stopped during months (even more than a year without a new release).

I just wanted to point out that development did not stop, it was simply the release process for 3.0 that stopped. Many people contributed to 3.0 while EllisLab was looking for a new home for CI, and the 2.x line, though slowed, still had a handful of critical releases, as well.

In fact, looking at the commit graphs on GitHub, 2013/2014 was a very active period of development for CI. So, though the framework was more or less in a "feature-freeze" state, development was far from stopped.

Actually, it was just EllisLab officially announcing that they, as a company, can no longer maintain and contribute to the project. In practice, they had stopped doing that long before the announcement, adding just a few (but critical) patches during the past few years. In addition to providing the infrastructure of course.

Bottom line is, CI no longer contributed to their business and it's a good thing that they decided to let somebody else have it, while most companies would probably just leave it to chance. Too bad the announcement caused so much panic.

Quote:Actually, it was just EllisLab officially announcing that they, as a company, can no longer maintain and contribute to the project. In practice, they had stopped doing that long before the announcement, adding just a few (but critical) patches during the past few years. In addition to providing the infrastructure of course.

Bottom line is, CI no longer contributed to their business and it's a good thing that they decided to let somebody else have it, while most companies would probably just leave it to chance. Too bad the announcement caused so much panic.

Who support now CI?

(05-20-2015, 09:06 PM)zaria Wrote: Who support now CI?

CI is now a project of the British Columbia Institute of Technology
Tongue 

Codeigniter is very popular because of its simplicity and small foot-print.

Also, due to the still going on development of the libraries that support codeigniter.
Rolleyes

(05-19-2015, 08:39 AM)Mohammadhzp, Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 07:59 AM)calcio Wrote: I think CI it's popular because, it's very simple to learn and implements his features.
But, like PHP is to easy to learn, most of people use it for a wrong way. To me it's a bad thing to CI.

Agreed
What do you mean when you say "most of people use it for a wrong way" ?

@Mohammadhzp I'm so sorry my delay.

When I said "most of people use it for a wrong way" I wanted to say that people use the MVC wrongly. CI and other frameworks induce developers create fat Controllers and thin Models. By default Models must be fat and Controllers must be thin.

Other examples is... How to use Library or Helper? Library must be used in Models and sometimes in Controllers, Helper must bu used on View.
PHP is Life!!! See My Portfolio

I have CI around 5 years. CI is my main Framework every job I done in CI.

Some site I can finish in 3 Hours (I have my own CMS base on CI) with slide image and write css and plug to system with backend and frontend.

So CI strength is very easy to learn, use, adapt to any requirement.

It feel you can hack every part of your system.

Some framework of your list can use less time to initial project but it very hard to modify (or it will broke some part when you start to modify it).

I thought about this topic around 2-3 day when CI is dead to use another framework but last answer is CI.

Because my point (and my customer point) don't care about framework that I use but focus only goal of project base on resource and time that I used.

That why CI popular.

Simple, small footprint, no composer or other strange acronyms to understand. Best user guide for a CMS.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

(06-30-2015, 10:39 AM)calcio Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 08:39 AM)Mohammadhzp, Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 07:59 AM)calcio Wrote: I think CI it's popular because, it's very simple to learn and implements his features.
But, like PHP is to easy to learn, most of people use it for a wrong way. To me it's a bad thing to CI.

Agreed
What do you mean when you say "most of people use it for a wrong way" ?

@Mohammadhzp I'm so sorry my delay.

When I said "most of people use it for a wrong way" I wanted to say that people use the MVC wrongly. CI and other frameworks induce developers create fat Controllers and thin Models. By default Models must be fat and Controllers must be thin.

Other examples is... How to use Library or Helper? Library must be used in Models and sometimes in Controllers, Helper must bu used on View.

Actually, the true beauty of CI is that you don't have to do anything the way somebody else is telling you to do it. If you want to have fat controllers, do it so you can sleep better. If you don't even want to use models, then do it because it makes you happy. Especially if you don't have a boss breathing down your neck, you have freedom and ease of use.

The one thing I hate most is when people try to tell me how to code, even to the point of telling me what coding style I should be using. Unless a person is paying me to adhere to that way, I'm doing it my way.

Now, is that the "right" way, well maybe not. If you're looking at doing things the "right" way, maybe CodeIgniter is not for you. Heck, if you're doing what everyone else is doing, then you probably want to use Laravel or Symfony.

for me it is as many have said. Light weight, feature rich, simple to use, simple to extend, small footprint, excellent community, excellent third party libraries, the best documentation i have seen in any framework.

i have been using CI since about 2 months or so after 1.7.2 was released and have not looked back.

CI is not the end all and be all of PHP frameworks, it is not perfect. But it is perfect for me.

CI is so easy to turn into what ever web app you need it is crazy. Smile
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, M5 Inc.

I use CI and Laravel.
But based on my experiene CodeIgniter is really easy to use and it will not give you much headache.

I tried Laravel for six months. The documentation is not always updated and since it's too popular they update it very often.
The downside you will find bugs in their stable relesease lol
No SEO spam

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB