Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is codeigniter 3 code standards is out dated??

I heard something about codeigniter in many forum.
"Codeigniter is outdated with its code standards".
Like we all know codeigniter still not using namespace,traits etc new fetures.Its pretty much same as codeigniter's previous versions.

Without going into to much detail. There is a long... history of why CodeIgniter 3 is a lot like CodeIgniter 2 even thou it's considered "new" (by release date and version number).
The CodeIgniter team understands this and now that CodeIgniter 3 is finally "out the door". They plan to update where it makes sense and which looks like it will be v4.

So thats mean Ci3 for big project not a good idea?? I have my dream project i am so confused about which framework should i use.I want to use CI but again confusion Sad

No I wouldn't say that. If you like how CI3 works today you can learn it and take a lot of that knowledge with you when v4 comes out.

Any framework switching between major version numbers is going to be a a little bumpy and is something you should definitely consider.

Some frameworks for example have made major version number changes year over year.
Others people think a framework that doesn't change in over a year is "dead"?

Use whatever you are most comfortable with. Is your project going to be something you know you will need to support for 5+ years and therefore a framework with a history of major version number changes may present a problem? Or is the project more of a "take the money and run" kind of thing so this won't be a problem?

As for size of application? I have some really big applications running on CodeIgniter. One reason I like it for larger applications is because it's quicker than most other frameworks out there BEFORE you even add the mountains of business logic. I would rather start with a fast framework with a small memory footprint and "build" on it than a framework that is slower and has a larger memory footprint before I even start.

If you have specific questions hopefully I or someone else here can help you.

If not try a couple of different frameworks over a weekend. Take each and spend just an hour or two max to see which one you can build a simple todo list or something in or just "get your head around"? Then just pick what "feels the best" for you. Don't worry about "Oh my they aren't using X so it can't possibly be any good"

Don Myers

So, what does "outdated with its code standards" actually mean?

It's a very, very vague statement - ask 10 developers and you'll get 10 different answers on what "outdated", 10 on what "code standards" means and another 10 on what these thing mean when combined. So ultimately, it says close to nothing.

Yeah, what is "code standards"? I thought it was coding standards at first.

(05-27-2015, 09:44 PM)kenjis Wrote: Yeah, what is "code standards"? I thought it was coding standards at first.

"Code standards" and "coding standards" don't say different things ... it's the same "term". The problem is, that "term" may mean a lot of things.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015, 06:16 AM by calcio.)

Vimal, if you want create everything (controllers, models, views, helpers, layout/template, auth, etc.) manually and you don't really care about namespace, traits etc, and you like this framewok. So use it. It's a mistake believes that CI can't be used on big projects.

If you want everything (controllers, models, views, helpers, layout/template, auth, etc.) automatic you may consider use Yii Framewok 2, they have a web interface to built almost everything that you need, they brings to you, some migrates to ease your life, use by default composer, bower, twitter bootstrat 3, and many other features. However the learning curve is a little bit higher than CI.

If you want a skeleton to everything (controllers, models, layout/template, auth, etc.) partially automatic you may consider use Laravel 5, they have a powerful cli interface that generate you models, controllers, etc. They brings to you, composer, twitter bootstrat 3, blade template engine, etc. However the learning curve is a little bit higher than CI.
PHP is Life!!! See My Portfolio

(05-28-2015, 08:07 AM)Narf Wrote:
(05-27-2015, 09:44 PM)kenjis Wrote: Yeah, what is "code standards"? I thought it was coding standards at first.

"Code standards" and "coding standards" don't say different things ... it's the same "term". The problem is, that "term" may mean a lot of things.

Thank you for your explanation.

I thought "coding standards" was coding styles:
http://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/ge...guide.html

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB