Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
social networking site

[eluser]ci_man[/eluser]
Hi everybody,

I am totally new to CI. After reading the online doc, I have to say I really like it. I plan to build a social networking site using CI, so I would like to know if anyone has experience for building social newtworking site with CI. Would you recommand CI for such sites? what are the pros and cons? Thanks a lot.

Max

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
If you think PHP is a good basis for web application development then there is no reason not to use CI. The great thing about CI is that it does not rely on a lot of strict conventions. If at some point you choose to eschew some of it's methods & functionality in favor of plain PHP you're not really locked into anything.

Personally, validation, encryption, active record, form helpers are what have me absolutely loving it. I just recently built a custom shopping cart in under 2 weeks, including a user login system with password retrieval, database operations for adding phone orders, with CURLed XML output to a fulfillment center, automated CSV export & import. I would have never been able to complete something that fast and that ambitious without CI... let alone something that I feel is relatively secured against vanilla hacking attempts. I think CI is a powerful tool in my PHP arsenal, and it makes me enjoy doing what I do a little bit more.

The only thing that I really wish CI had built in was support for many-to-many database relationships. Editing & displaying many-to-many database table relationships is still a pain, and relies on a lot of complicated SQL queries.

[eluser]ci_man[/eluser]
Thanks. This framework is very easy to learn. I will go forward.

[eluser]Josh Giese[/eluser]
I am currently building a social network based on ci code. the development so far has been quick and I'm excited to launch it once its done. do has been a great help so far.

[eluser]CoolGoose[/eluser]
CI is a very nice framework because of three things imho:
1. It's very easy to learn and has great documentation
2. It's not forcing you to use unnecessary conventions
3. It's fast

By the way. You could look at the various plugins such as FreakAuth that could help you skip some development phases.

[eluser]ci_man[/eluser]
I totally agree with you guys. I have never experienced a framework is as easy as this one, yet it is powerful and fast (super fast!).

@Josh Giese: if you have any recommendations ,caustions or exp, please let me know. Thanks.

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
JoshGiese: Do you have an ETA on your delivery? Would love to see it.

[eluser]Josh Giese[/eluser]
I dont have an ETA yet. I have slowed down work on it to handles some other sites. I am hoping to have it all put together in the next few months.

[eluser]Razz[/eluser]

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
Nice avatar pic Razz.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB