Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
A little advice about moving from 1.7 to 2.*
Rainbow 

Hey there folks,

i am pretty new to codeIgniter. A project i am doing uses an open source program which utilises 1.7.0.

i am looking at moving from 1.7.0 over to a newer version. My primary motivations for doing this are to help speed up the site.

At present i am using opcache and memcached and both are getting good hit percentages.

-: Does the existence of opcache and memcached essentially remove a need to use the built in cacheing utils in CI 1.7? 

-: Would version 2.* of codeIgniter be better able to either integrating with opc/memcached, or if i may be better off using CI 2.* built in caching utils over opc/mem.

At present the site isn't slow. But i can't escape feeling over time, as we get more users, we will need to optimise things as much as possible Smile

Much appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this, Thanks

anna

Personally, I would recommend upgrading to 3.x just to ensure I have security updates moving forward. Before you look at optimizations, run a profiler on your site to try to identify the areas which should be targeted for improvement. The caching library can use memcached, potentially allowing you to cache data which otherwise might not be cached by your current configuration, but it's always best to know which parts of the site are potentially slowing you down before starting to optimize the site.

Hi mwhitney and thank you for your reply.

Did i understand correctly, that what you meant by 'profiler' is pagespeed type websites? The homepage universally returns <2second complete page load on a 10 buck Linode. i am yet to install varnish.

In all honesty moving from 1.7.0 to 3.* may be beyond my expertise. Are the benefits significant enough to warrant employing someone to do it? The project is a free dating website for a niche market i have recently (and unfortunately) found myself to be part of.

Thanks again, anna

Profiling PHP scripts with Xdebug 2 is what I was referring to when I mentioned profiling.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to move from 1.7 to 3.x, and though I'm experienced with moving from 2.x to 3.x, the difficulty of that process really depends on the code in question. In some cases, there's almost nothing that needs to be done except to replace the CodeIgniter files on the server and update a few configuration options. However, as with every major version change, going from 1.x to 2.x, then 2.x to 3.x, includes a number of potentially-large changes. The documentation covers the changes fairly well, but does so only for each version change.

As for the benefits: CodeIgniter 1.7.2, released in 2009, included updates to be compatible with PHP 5.3, which has not received security updates since August of last year. This means that, theoretically, a version of CodeIgniter older than that would be running on a version of PHP which is older than 5.3. While CodeIgniter 3.x still supports PHP 5.2.4, using version 5.4 or newer is recommended due to security issues, performance, and features included in the newer versions of PHP.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB